Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 
veggiegirl

Something really weird happened yesterday !!

So when I fed my bettas yesterday morning all was well.....checked on them a few times throughout the day and all was well. Then early evening I went in to fee them again instantly knew that something was wrong with Pearl my red dragon HM PK girl.

She was floating tail up, head down and struggling to right herself. She was desperately trying to swim down.......you could really see her struggling and then when she exhausted herself she would float to the top and onto her side...she couldn't stay up the right way and was twisting her body weirdly to try to stop herself floating onto her side. My first thought was SBD but it just came on so suddenly....she hasn't been unwell..... a few hours before she was 100% fine and then she was very stressed because she seemed to have serious boy-ency issues.

I was really worried about her and just couldn't believe what had happened!!!! I do not think that she was constipated.....not bloated or anything and she seemed otherwise healthy. Anyways I got up this morning and.......SHE WAS FINE.....no more troubles staying upright or swimming it was as if nothing had even happened!!!!!! Any ideas????? has anyone ever had this sort of thing happen to them? I am just at a loss as to what may have caused it!!!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

sometimes bettas go funny when they sleep. lol.
That's the only explaination I can give >.<
Mine usually looks dead. one of then would sleepily eat his dinner then go right back to sleep XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #3 
quietlythundering

Kinda like when we wake up and find various body parts (hands, feet, fingers, legs) have fallen asleep too? That kinda thing's happened to me on more than one occasion. I tried standing up, but fell instead! ><
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

It happened again yesterday afternoon (it was still light so she wasn't sleeping) she seems almost better this morning just ever so slightly topsy turvy!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

Maybe she ate too much at her last meal and it pressed on her swimbladder making it difficult to swim properly then after she digested/eliminated the food she returned to normal.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

I only feed her 3 tiny little pellets for a meal..... Atisons betta pro ones
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #7 
Jayloo

I would fast her for two days. Then feed her daily the rest of the week. Then move feedings to only twice a day. Also I would pick a day each week and fast her. :) my females have done this when I was a beginning breeder because I engorged them.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #8 
Jayloo

The stomach of a betta is comparable to the eye.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #9 
veggiegirl

I usually feed all bettas 3 pellets twice a day. Once or twice a week they are fed a frozen food such as black mosquito larvae or brine shrimp.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #10 
Jayloo

Brine shrimp is natural laxative. I would fast 2 days and begin on brine shrimp daily. Then move back to pellets after a couple days. It sounds like SBD. Any fish over fed can have symptoms. & although it doesn't seem like she is over fed, fish are like people... Some need only half a portion. Others need two portions...