Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #1 
Aeroggi

Male Plakat or Female betta? So confused.

After my aunt gave me my fish, Ravi(still don't know if he is a Super delta or HM) about two Saturdays ago, my cousin (asked me two days) didn't want his bettas anymore and I couldn't say no. .___. So I have three female bettas, and I want to try make a sorority with them and probably 3 or 4 more females in a 10 gallon. BUT... one of the 'female' looks like a male. .___. Actually, not just looks but I have a feeling that s/he is a he. Probably because of how aggressive s/he is, so kind of a lose-lose for me? I have a spare tanks, but not heaters. I can't tell apart male plakat and regular females. And I can't trust petco/smart labels. As all the fishes he got were labeled veiltail, but all of them are crowntail.

So can you guys help me identify this little fish?

Aeroggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #2 
xShainax

Looks like a male. I Don't see an eggspot
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

get him/her to flare and look at the size of the beard that's usually a good indicator
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually the beard isn't a good indicator either unfortunately. One of my girls has quite an impressive beard actually!

But it looks like a male to me, the body proportions and the fact it looks as though he doesn't have an eggspot either as MattsBettas had suggested.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #5 
Aeroggi

I guess I'll get another heater then... Ravi looks too happy to share his tank :/ But I'll post more picture in a few minutes, but I honestly don't blame Petco this time. I looked up on the site on how to differentiate from a male PK and a regular female, but I was just left more confused before I started to look them up.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ugg yeah, I tried that search too and came up with the same results lol, it can be so difficult!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7 
Aeroggi

Hmm, makes it more confusing when I read "Look for this and this, then it's a female." 'Check.' Then I scroll down for the male "Look for this and this." Check.... -.-

Also for the eggspot, I was also looking for it and I found like a small dot, but it doesn't really 'stick' out from underneath. I dunno if it's the egg spot for just the color of that spot. So, I'll guess I'll be cautious and place it in it's own tank...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #8 
xShainax

It's hard to tell the genders some times lol.
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #9 
Aeroggi

So what I have noticed is when s/he flares, s/he doesn't really flare with it's beard. I don't know if it means anything except the fact that I couldn't really look at its beard while it flared. But I'll still post the pictures.

But, the other female betta(whom is healing from fin rot with salt.) I was using to make him/her flare got like stripes along her body though.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The vertical stripes not only suggest breeding, but they can be used to relay submission as well. I know often one of my girls in the sorority has vertical stripes but it's just her way saying that she submits to the alpha girl and she doesn't want trouble.

Hmmm, but the body is looking more female in this picture....perhaps if you can have it in view of a male for a few days to see if she gets eggy? I've heard that might be stressful though so I wouldn't follow that until someone else comments about it.

Tags
gender, help confused, male plakat or female