Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #1 
quietlythundering

Question Should I upgrade?

My blind guy, Ray Charles, is in a medium petsmart brand kritter keeper. It's been his home from day one, but I've been thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade him to a bigger tank. I think he'd like the space, though on the other hand, I do worry about how he'll take to it, since his blindness does require that I keep his environment the same (meaning no rearranging anything.)With that and the fact that it'll be a bigger, what do you guys think?
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #2 
Backlash

How big of a tank are you thinking??

You could always partition off an area of his new tank that is about the same size as his old one.. Position all of his plants, etc in exactly the same place as they are in his old tank, at least until he becomes more familiar with his surroundings..
After he is settled, you could try moving the partition back in his tank and see how he goes with the larger area.. If he doesnt like the larger area, or has difficulty finding his food etc. then move the partition back, and you "may' have space to house another Betta...*
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #3 
isochronism

Since he has always been doing well, you may be right about him being confused. If you have upgradeitis, maybe try a new tank and plant it.. something totally different for you to experiment with. That way you have time to get it just right. It could make a nice place for another needy fish :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #4 
SnowySurface

If I'm not mistaken, the medium sized critter keeper is about 2.5 gallons or so? I think a blind fish would be fine living out the rest of his life in his current set up. It's not impossible for a blind fish to adapt to a larger tank, but I wouldn't put him in anything bigger than 5 gallons. Heck, i don't even put betta fish that can see into tanks bigger than 5 gallons. So, I'm a bit biased. XD

If you feel like upgrading him because you think a medium critter keeper is too small, you may be wrong. If I'm right about it containing 2.5 gallons, then it's a fine home for a special needs fish. If you want to go all out on your fish for the joy of going all out, then I would make the cut off 5 gallons.
SnowySurface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #5 
NozzALa

I saw your post on Reddit, haha. At least I think it was you. White betta, white on his eyes?
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 
quietlythundering

Thanks for all the responses! I was considering a large petsmart brand kritter keeper, which are actually about 3 gallons, and I think the medium is just a little under 2. All of my boys are in large 3 gallon tanks, and I've noticed lately that this guy has been a bit sluggish. He isn't sick, but I just wondered if a change of environment wouldn't be good for him. Then again, I've also wondered if it wasn't the heater that was making him like that, so I've also considered taking it out (the weather here in sunny CA is warming up to a point that would make hell look like Antarctica.) I think I'll try that first, since it's tank cleaning day anyway.
Also, I don't think so, NozzALa; Ray Charles is orangey-red and has no eyes, though that fish you heard about sounds pretty!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

I think he would be fine in a slightly larger home. An extra gallon of water really isn't alot. Personally, I like my guys to have at least 5 gallons each but I really don't have enough space for that (15 bettas), so some are in the Petco version of the critter keepers which are either 2.5 or 3G.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #8 
quietlythundering

Do you really think so? Yeah, I don't have much space to work with where I'm living right now (even with only 6 fish) but someday I'd like to get a couple of 10 gallon tanks and divide everybody! I just know they'd love the space :D
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

You can always add in an extra plant or something to fill, I am sure after a while, he will get used to where everything is.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 
quietlythundering

Yeah! I'm going to have to stop by the pet store then on friday.