Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #1 
Graceful

Question Low-light plants?

Hi!

I am new - both to bettas and this forum - so I apologize in advance for all the questions! :)

I'm planning on starting my first aquarium. I have my eye on a 10-gallon tank with a filter and light. I will be getting a male betta and some tank-mates - tetras, a few shrimp, snails, et cetera. I'd also love to have real plants.

I will be keeping the tank by my front door, where it is not dark but there is no direct sunlight.

What are some plants/mosses that thrive with no direct natural light? And what kind of soil, sand, or gravel would be best for them?

Thank you in advance!
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #2 
Emmalee01

Hi there :)
I'm no expert on plants, but I believe that Java moss and Java fern are good low light plants that should be fine in that set up. They don't need to be planted either- Java fern just needs to be tied to a rock or ornament (can be done with string or fishing line) until it becomes attached. Java moss just floats in the tank. I'm sure some other expert will know of more low light plants :). Also, be aware that some Bettas will eat certain shrimp species, and some shrimp species can even harm your Betta- I'm unsure of which species of shrimp would work out best but I'm sure someone else will know.

Welcome to the forum (I'm not often on here myself)

Emily
Emmalee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #3 
Mashiro

Welcome to the forums!

Okay, is it a fluorescent light? Do you happen to know the wattage?

You want to make sure your tank is cycled before putting in all these creatures as well.

Please refer to the stickies if you need to learn about the nitrogen cycle.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #4 
DefStatic

If the hood has an incandescent lights, replace the light first.

Any moss will grow in low light. Some mosses are harder to grow than others, but still.

Be careful buying things are Petco and PetSmart. They sell stuff that is not actually aquatic. Go there, see what you are interested in, and then go home and search the scientific name if available and make sure it is aquatic.

This research will also tell you how to plant them. It is usually quite simple. However sometimes things are missed. One plant you make bury in your substrate, another may just have to be tied to something like a rock.

Otherwise most of the stuff they sell is considered easy. And don't forget, plants need food too. And do not leave your light on for too long.

Oh, almost forgot. Might want to get your Betta first and see how they are. I hear males can go from one extreme to another very easily when it comes to tank mates.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #5 
Rilly10

So far I am loving my Anubias, Marimo Moss Balls, Water Sprite, Dwarf Water Lettuce (you would deff need a better light for that though). My Java Fern is ok, but not a favorite. I also seem to be the owner of a very happy Ozelot Sword which I love, but also needs a better light.

If you don't plan on changing the light I would stick to Mosses, Java Ferns, and Anubias ;)
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Okay, is it a fluorescent light? Do you happen to know the wattage?

You want to make sure your tank is cycled before putting in all these creatures as well.

Please refer to the stickies if you need to learn about the nitrogen cycle.
I didn't think to check the wattage or what type of light it is. I am returning today to learn more; I will let you know.

And yes, I am planning on cycling before adding fish. :) Still don't quite understand it, but I will learn.

Thanks!
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
planted tank, plants