Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
Aeroggi

Exclamation This is very bad... [I honestly don't think he will make it...]

So I will have to apologize for not being able to answer all of these questions. This isn't my fish, but my friend's fish. I came over to her house today and I saw the fish I gave her for birthday, and I thought it was a totally different fish.

1 year ago:

10 minutes ago:

Housing
What size is your tank? Before 1 1/2 gallon, now Quarantine tank (the betta cup).
What temperature is your tank? Before room temperature, so around 75, now 81.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Before yes, now no.
Is your tank heated? Before no, now yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tropical Fish Flakes, and peas
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day everyday but Sunday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a month.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

N/A She changed his water before I can test the water.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A LOT. Pineconing, puffed chest.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very inactive, it was getting pushed around by the air stone.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? She said last week.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water change with Prime, and Stress Coat, plus Epsom Salt, and raising the water temperature.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I dunno.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, but over 1 year but under 3.
Aeroggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #2 
registereduser

dropsy, I'm afraid he won't survive, sorry he has lived to an average age, tho.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 
Aeroggi

Yeah, I thought so too. I have never seen a fish this bad though. I'll tell my friend not to get another fish. She was planning to replace him ._.' which makes me feel kind of sad. I gave her a basic guide( I hand made it, with 3 hours of research) on how to take care of a betta and it seems like she didn't even read it or anything. Her birthday is coming up again, and she wants me to get her another betta fish.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well, the pineconing isn't good.... If you want to try something, you could add Epsom salt. It might reduce some of the fluid retention.

If you don't have Epsom salt, you can get it at pharmacies or supermarkets. (CVS, Walmart, etc.) Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.)

Mix it into conditioned water, at a dosage of 1 to 3 teaspoons per gallon. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved. Slowly add it, about a tablespoon at a time, into his cup, waiting about 10-15 minutes between each spoonful.

But... you're right. Pineconing is a symptom, not a cause. This makes it difficult to treat. And by the time it occurs, it usually indicates that the internal organs are failing....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #5 
Aeroggi

I actually already have him on Epsom salt. Once I saw his chest protruding so much, I knew he wasn't going to make it, but I wanted to try something first before calling it quits, rather then let him slowly die while I trying nothing.

but one thing, I like to add was that my friend would put aquarium salt every after water change, and didn't change the aquarium water out. So the fish would be in the aquarium salt water until the next water change. And she changed the water whenever she felt like it. :/
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Did you talk to her about all of this?

Perhaps for your friend's next birthday, you could take her to the aquarium? (You could buy her a nice stuffed plushie fish in their gift shop. Plus, plushies come in lots of colors, so she could pick one that goes really well with her decor.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #7 
Aeroggi

Of course I did. But unlike most of us here, she felt that "it's just a fish". She only told me/showed me the fish because she felt it was going to die, and that she didn't want to handle a dead fish. I feel really bad for the fish, the whole time he was with her, she told me she was following my guide accordingly. But, only today she told me what she actually did.
Water change twice a week. 50% and 100% = Twice a month. 50% each
Temperature at 78-81. = What ever the temperature her house was.
etc.

Eh, for her bithday, I'm just going to get her a gift card or something. Because lately everything I have gave her always ended up battered and/or in this case dying/dead. Kind of tired(and sad) of seeing my gifts in the condition she leaves it. :/
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 
Aeroggi

So he died, 14 minutes ago. I saw him jolting around and then he just stopped moving. I waited for 10 minutes to see if he would still move, but instead he floated down to the bottom of the tank. I also just noticed now, part of his organs are coming out of his inflated chest. Anyways, thanks for the help guys.
S.I.P
Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #9 
registereduser

How old is your friend? A stuffed animal as a gift would be appropriate, no care involved. That is if you want to give a gift AT ALL.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #10 
SnowySurface

I'm sorry the fish passed. :(

There is a misconception about feeding bettas peas. Bettas are bug eaters and shouldn't be given veggies. I've heard of people using peas for constipated bettas, but that remedy is geared more for gold fish that are supposed to eat veggies as part of their diet. Even if you like treating constipated bettas with peas, it should not be a part of their regular diet.

The other thing I noticed is you didn't list any additive. Does this mean the betta was in untreated tap water or bottle water? Untreated tap water has too much chlorine and fluoride to be healthy for fish and bottle water is missing nutrients. It's best to use tap water that has been treated with a water conditioner to remove heavy metals.

I also think you should give the friend a gift card instead of another fish. She doesn't strike me as a fish person based on your description.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soon to die?, veiltail