Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #1 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Antisocial teenage betta

I have needed to keep asking advice on my Boy Kaida and the bane of his existence, his heater, When I first installed it he flared and went crazy but died down after a while, then I discovered he was going nuts every night when it illuminated his tank walls. I correct it's positioning to stop the light shining and now for three days straight he won't leave it alone, lunging at the glass as if it was his worst enemy.
I tried putting plants around it to stop him seeing it and he pushed them aside, he is even ignoring food to chase his arch nemesis.

Also lately he has used the IAL half I have in his tank at all times to make the most giant bubblenest ever! While I would normally be thrilled as he hasn't made one since I brought him home it is literally all he does, in between lunges at the glass he goes and builds and extension, then goes back to it. I haven't seen him rest or sleep properly in at least two days, likely four. Since his last 100 percent water change when I added a fresh leaf.

I am beginning to worry about his behaviour, he isn't the chirpy boy I have grown to love, just a cranky little so and so. Is there anything I might be doing to upset him? He gets a varied diet of pellets, frozen bloodworms and daphnisia. 2 partial water changes a week and one complete (his tank is a 2 gallon, no filter) and I do my best to keep his decorations varied and pay a lot of attention to him...

I'm getting rather worried about him :(
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It seems like he might be mistaking his reflection for a female? The glass of the heater might be distorting his reflection just enough that he things it's a female and is getting frustrated that his "female" has no intention of breeding with him, hence he's working on his nest all day and night long and seems angry.

This is what I feel like it might be. Is there any change you can maybe switch out the filter with one that doesn't have a reflective surface? Or perhaps is there an aquarium friendly paint that you can paint it with? Otherwise, I'm not sure.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I will certainly give it a try, anything to calm him down and turn him into his usual chirpy self. I cant really switch it out I'm afraid, its the heater not the filter. If it were just a filter it would already be gone. :(
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh derp, sorry I meant heater, I must have been distracted while writing that!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 
dragonx47

If lilnaugrim is right, you could try getting a different heater, such as the Fluval Edge. It's not glass and thus doesn't give off a reflection. Perhaps while you're switching the heaters, raise the room temperature to prevent the water temp. from changing too much. I may be wrong, though(Rather new to this).
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 
trilobite

At least hes keeping fit lol.
He will probably get used to it after a while, I'd also try and find ways to cover up the reflection
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I went and bought a pair of close knit fishnet stockings much to his dissapointment. I don't mind making a new weekly cover for it if it means he will finally settle down. Plus its a lot cheaper to buy a set of stockings every couple of months than get a new heater :)
Being a uni student means the disposable cash is pretty non existant
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

Is it safe for aquarium. Make sure the color doesn't bleed in the water . You should aquarium safe , be careful..it can keel him
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I boiled and scrubbed at it for a good two hours in a white bowl to triple check with no effect. He is also on my desk where I practically live to study and have been keeping an extra close eye on him.
There has been no flaring either though he spent all of yesterday triple checking that corner. He is back to being his crazy self :D
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! Glad to hear :D