Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 
vmrhatwal

shells are making bowl turbid...

hi...

i recently put two shells inside tank.. they are making my bowl turbid..

i have removed them..

plz tell me does this have anything to do with clamped fins of my betta?
vmrhatwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ummm, did you clean them before putting them into the tank? I assume you mean sea shells, like, picked right off the beach? If so boiling them will get rid of any bacteria or disease that might be on them. If so, yes this could be part of what is causing clamped fins.

If you could also fill this out, we could further tell what might be wrong with him:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 
vmrhatwal

this is what i posted in emergencies section..

I am new to this community... got my betta fish 3 weeks back.. it was my sisters.. my nephew used to play with him(he drops something in the bowl) .. my sis has the betta for 10 days... he was very small then.. when i got him his caudal fin was not ok (split in two).. and he has one hole in his dorsal fin.. he was in pretty bad shape but after two weeks he became healthy and was eating very well.. his fins were in good shape.. untill 5 days back i searched on net and done a 100% water change cause it wasn't done since he was in that bowl.. now he has clamped fins.. he wasn't eating after the water change(tap waer for two days).. just the first bite then i changed his water to filtered 24 hours kept.. now he is eating well but still his fins are clamped.. his body does not have any spots.. his colors are radiant and vivid.. he plays very well in front of the mirror(only for an hour a day max) please tell me what to do in order to make him look fresh again...

I know 100% water change was a mistake... wont do it again without a consult..

Today I started feeding him live blood worms

Housing
What size is your tank? its a big bowl (capacity 4 liters)
What temperature is your tank? in pune india around 28 degree C
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? not needed weather is warm
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen dried brine shrimp and live blood worms from farm rice
How often do you feed your betta fish? small quantity 3 times a day (9 am, 3 pm and 9 pm)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40% (filtered water which is kept 24 hours before change)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: no idea
Nitrite:no idea
Nitrate:no idea
pH:no idea
Hardness: no idea
Alkalinity: no idea

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? wasn't eating 3 days back now eating normally
When did you start noticing the symptoms? after 100% water change 5 days back
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? daily water changes 40%
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no idea its my sister's fish got him 3 weeks back
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2-3 months (i don't know check 1st pic)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

100% water change is good on a 1 gallon bowl which is what it seems you have (Although 1 gallon is 3.8 liters, but that's besides the point)

In small bowls like that the ammonia will build up quickly, I'm sure you've read this already though. But that's good you're doing a change every other day. Are you making sure that the temperature of the new water is similar or the same to the old water?

Also, instead of aging water you can just get a conditioner such as Prime which is great for conditioner water so there is no ammonium from your tap, as well as heavy metals and chlorine (which is what you are getting rid of when you age your water) But with the conditioner you can add the water right away, take it from the tap, mix in a drop or two of Prime and add it to the bowl. But if you want to keep aging, that's fine as well :) What ever suits your fancy ^^

The clamped fins could be from discomfort of moving to a "new" home, as in new surroundings. If this is the case, just try not to bother him too much except for feedings and water changes which are crucial. Loud noises will also scare them, it might help him to get some sort of decoration. You'll have to make sure there are no sharp edges to hurt his fins though. If you get silk plants those are generally good for Betta's because they are soft.

To heal his fins, you will have to get a conditioner called Stress Coat (or Stress Coat +), it contains aloe which is very beneficial for your Betta to grow their fins back. It may take up to a month, but sometimes smaller tears can be healed at just a week! You use it like Prime conditioner, just take water from the tap (make sure it's similar in temperature) add in a few drops of Stress Coat and add it to the tank and this will help with his fins.

Also if they are stressed they may not eat but do not worry, I had a fish that wouldn't eat for the first month that I had him but now he eats like a pig! They can survive :)
Also I would cut back and only feed him twice a day and fast him for one day so he doesn't become constipated. Also live foods like that all the time isn't always good, especially in a small area. They can eat like that in the wild because they've got miles of water to swim around in and won't contaminate the water as fast.
I would look into getting some New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets or Omega One Betta Pellets, both of which have essential nutrients needed for Bettas. And then you could give him the live food many twice or three times a week. Generally you want to fast them after having a protein rich meal such as the live foods.

But that's great that he plays and his color is still vivid! I think that's all I can comment about for now...if I forgot something I'll just tag it on after haha. If anything doesn't make sense, please ask and I'll try to reword it to help! I hope the little guy can get better soon! :D

BTW, sorry for the long post >< I know it can be a lot to take in, sorry!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #5 
vmrhatwal

thanks you so much lilnaugrim...

the aging water is working pretty well for my boy...

Now he is fresh.. he is playing well... he seems pretty happy now no clamped fins...

About feeding.. I am slowly cutting back... and will start twice a day routine for him.. I will start the pallets you recommended.. but i am afraid i can find those pallets here in India..

I have put some round stones from the river into his bowl(properly cleaned).. I am planning to buy a cave rock for him..

nice collection of betta family u have there... enjoy...
again thanks so much dear....
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh thank you ^^ They definitely keep me occupied and running around! Haha

Is there anyway you could buy them online? I don't think it's too much of an issue at the moment as long as you watch out for bloat and constipation it should be fine.

I'm happy he's no longer clamped! I think he was just getting used to his new area!