Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #1 
Kim

Tank mates for betta in 15 gallon

My 15 gallon tank has finally cycled, and I am expecting my plants to arrive today. I think that I am going to hold off getting any tank mates for my betta until after I go on vacation though. My question is, what fish would be good with a male betta. I know most tetras would do, but what about rasboras, cherry barbs, sparkiling gouramis? These are some of the fish that are listed as suitable tank mates on liveaquaria.com, but I wanted to ask before I go out and look for some. The only thing that I don't want is livebearers. I already have a tank full of guppies! Thank you.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #2 
jake5554

okay well i have a plocustmus or a sucker fish and there doing just fine ive heard african dwarf frogs can make good companions with betta fish you dont want aggressive fish cause they can nip the bettas fin and hurt the betta mean fish like oscars is big no no because oscars are jerks you should be good with snails and if you get the frogs they have to have some place to get out of the water did you say you have guppies in with the betta
jake5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #3 
Kim

No, I don't have guppies with the betta. The guppies are in a 10 gallon tank that I rescued from my brother. I wouldn't put guppies with my betta because of their long fins. My betta is not really aggressive, so I thought that because he is going to have such a big home now, I would get him a few tank mates to keep him occupied during the day. I was looking for a small school of attractive, hardy, peaceful fish. I was leaning toward tetras, but then I saw cherry barbs, and rasboras and thought maybe some of those would work. What do you think?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #4 
crazy4fish

i have cherry barbs and they are extremely peaceful! :D i think they would be good tank mates. white clouds and rasboras would work too. i wouldnt suggest tetras though. some can be very nippy. :(
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #5 
Kim

Thanks. I do love the look of the cherry barbs, and they fit my tank parameters perfectly :D . Where did you get yours?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #6 
crazy4fish

a place called Eddie's Aquarium. its where i get all my fishy supplies! i love it there. i dont know where you are located but i can give you a link to their website so you can see if you are close. http://www.eddiesaqua.com/content/di....cfm?killnav=1

their store is better than their website
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #7 
Kim

Darn it! I am in NH, so that would be way too far. The thing is that I have no good fish stores near me, and the ones that actually have healthy fish have no variety. Well, I guess I'll just have to call and ask. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #8 
JMeenen

I have more guppies than I know what to do with..I have 1 tankfull in the lab, one in my secretaries office and now one in Plant Operations office...some are really pretty!
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #9 
Flashygrrl

I'm doing the cory catfish thing myself. Eventually.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #10 
jake5554

what exactly is a rasbora
jake5554 is offline   Reply With Quote