Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #1 
fishhead

Getting a betta!

Well, a new inhabitant is moving into my 5 gallon Hex tank to join the two Otos that live there - a betta. I've already scoped out the local shops to see who tends to get the healthiest fish.

I have lots of artificial plants, and already keep it at about 80 degrees since it used to be a dwarf puffer home until I had a horrible run of bad luck - the DP had an intestinal parasite, months later when I found them in the store again it died the next day - and the free replacement from the store also died. Turned out the entire stock the store received also died. The tank has settled and I've cut down on the snail colony that lives there (left to grow in anticipation of the DP addition).

I'm looking forward to betta stewardship! One question - I've lots of plants, but not a "cave" per se. I have a small ornament I can remove and add a 'cave' if ya'll think I need to....should the plant cover be enough?
fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #2 
Kim

Could you post a picture. My guess is that if there are some little nooks between the plants that could hide him from view, he should be happy. My betta never went into the little pot that I put in there for him, but he did wedge himself under the leaf of a fake plant and sleep :) . They really are all individuals.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #3 
fishhead

There are some nooks in there, and one short, wide plant that he could rest on if he desires....
Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #4 
Flashygrrl

If the plants are plastic you should consider replacing them with silk. Betta fins are very delicate and get caught easily on the edges of plastic plants. As for a cave, if you have one then by all means stick it in there (my betta likes to poke his head out one of the holes), if not just have lots of plants.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #5 
fishhead

That's a thought; two of them are plastic...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Run the edges over an old pair of pantyhose (stretched out a bit)..if it snags it needs to go. Or just get new plants anyways, I like silk plants because they add a bit more movement.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #7 
fishhead

The plants passed the test, and we have a new Crowntail Betta:

He's pretty active, checking everything out. We brought him home Saturday. He's eating well too, thankfully.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #8 
southafrica1001

wow he is a beautiful crowntail :D good luck and keep up the good work :D
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #9 
fishhead

Thanks! We spent about 15 minutes picking him out :)
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #10 
jake5554

if you are thinking of putting new fish with your betta make sure your tank is 5 g or more before you put them together and if the betta starts to attack the other fish them have another tank for the betta on the side you can get sucker fish or neons or know for a fact dont get guppys unless you think your betta will get along with them but they tend to set the betta fish off think oh another betta fish let me kill him dont get other aggressive fish regardless of what anyone says because of fin nipping it make your betta look like ugly and it not cool
jake5554 is offline   Reply With Quote