Ugh. Yes. He was all slimy, too, when I removed his little body this morning. :(
This terrifies me because I just bought a huge (46g) set-up tank, and now I'm wondering if I might have shared any nets, etc., with it and this one. And I have four other bettas in tanks, too, that I worry with the same thing over.
I hope you didn't share anything between him and your other 4 bettas. I think i wold do large water change and keep close eye on them, and have medications ready . Do you know what medications you need?
I have 10 bettas and i try do not share anything between them. I don't use nets but each of them has own cups for changing.
You really need to tear down the tank completely, i would not even keep plants. I am going to post disinfection instructions for you. I was talking to someone who does it so i will just copy and paste his recommendations for you. I personally bleached tank a few times. Make sure you wash a lot with cold , warm, hot water. And live to dry out in the sun for a week . I would not disinfect the gravel.
Bleach is very useful but people are scared to use it because its very strong and kills everything (hence its use for sterility).
First you must know that there are lots of different bleaches out there. You must not use bleach with additives (many come mixed with detergent). So, find a bleach like Clorox Regular.
Next, the aquarium pieces to be disinfected should be rinsed with warm water to remove the particles and debris that builds with use in an aquarium.
You can disinfect the aquarium itself and hard pieces like glass thermometers, fish nets, certain gravel (though NOT if its POROUS ), and hard plastic like the filter box (not the filter cartridge obviously).
Avoid heaters because people tend to submerge them and it will become very hard to remove the bleach from inside. You don't want bleach sitting inside there either as it may leach into aquarium water later or harm the heater itself.
You should make a 10% solution. This means 1 part bleach and 9 parts water to make a 10% solution. You can then dip the pieces and let them sit in the sink, bathtub, or on the counter for no longer than 10 minutes. Then rinse with warm water thoroughly. The equipment must air dry completely before entering an aquarium. This allows for the bleach to dissolve away and evaporate into its basic properties (its mainly just salt). Then rinse again with cold water (for good measure) before using in the aquarium again.
As an example example, I have a measuring cup with graduations marked in 1 ml increments. I use 10ml of bleach and 90ml of water. That's 1 part bleach in every 10 parts total (water + bleach). This creates a 10% Solution of bleach.
I have heard of people making a twenty percent bleach solution in which they dip live aquarium plants in. Then the plants should be rinsed almost immediately and rinsed extremely well. I have never tried this but I do know it has worked successfully before.
Thank you, Anhel. I am terribly worried if I shared anything between him and my other tank. I just bought a completely set-up 46-gallon NPT community tank, too, so I'm horribly paranoid that everything will die. :( Do you know what it is?
I am not a big expert but i think looks like fungal infection. That fuzzy patch and usually with fungus fish will get worse and die pretty fast. I am wondering why he got it . It is contagious and i am worry about you other fish. You need to lower temperature with any fungal infection. Fungus will thrive and multiply with warmer water. Some people i saw even recommend 72*. 76 * is the highest that i would recommend for now. But if you can get it to 74*. But you need to lower the water very slowly about 1-2* in an hour.
How big it your tanks? Do you have a filters? How much and how often you do water changes? Just curious. I want to understand why he got it. And i always think with warmer temp fish get sick faster.
I had just gotten him from PetCo a week before, and he had a ragged tail. I had thought he was biting it and it would heal up, but now I suspect it was the beginnings of an infection. :-/ I had him to himself in a cycled, 5-gallon Fluval Chi that was testing 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. He was really happy at first, then went downhill so quickly.
I didn't realized before how important is to quarantine every new fish that we buy. I think it would be good to make the sticky on this forum about it. I read a lot of threads when people put new fish in the main tank and end up with more sick fish. But yes i think we need to quarantine every new fish for the minimum -2 weeks . A lot of time they don't show any symptoms until later on.
And i know you already have cycled tank but forgive me just really want to give you one link that i really love :) It from Oldfishlady who is most recommended person for the recommendations. I really love her recommendation on water changes . And make sure you rinse the filter regularly If it is an "all-in-one" cartridge that is filter floss with carbon inside, just rinse it once a week in tank water or dechlorinated water. Most of the filters use those kind of cartridges. If the cartridge becomes too old or starts to fall apart, put a new cartridge in the filter but keep the old one behind it for a week and monitor for ammonia spikes. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758