Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1 
Darkicydevil

What small fish could I put in a 10 gallon with betta and nerite snail ?

I was wondering if there are any fish at petco I could put in with a nerite snail and betta. Or rather than a small school, just any fish in general that stays more to the bottom and middle of the tank.

Or can I not do that without overstocking ?
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I don't think there's much for a 10 gallon, if it were 20 you could do some Oto's or some small corys. But corys need space to swim and both need to be in groups of 4 or more which wouldn't work to well in a 10 gallon.

Sorry but I don't think any schooling fish can go in with a Betta in a 10 gallon, first because of the size restrictions. Most schooling fish like to swim a lot so 10 gallon is too small for them, and if they do get angry because of space they might end up picking on your Betta and that wouldn't be good.

I would suggest maybe some ghost shrimp? They're pretty easy to look after and rather nifty. I would be careful though because your Betta might think of them as a tasty treat but if you get the biggest ones they have, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also spaces for the shrimp to hide in would help them out too ^^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
Darkicydevil

Thank you that's really helpful! Do you think I could have a betta and 2 nerite snails? And that's it?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Certainly, two is probably a good number because I do know they clean fast. Do you plan on doing any live plants in there?

(Also some Betta's will pick at snails but if they are big enough they do tend to leave them alone)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #5 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Certainly, two is probably a good number because I do know they clean fast. Do you plan on doing any live plants in there?

(Also some Betta's will pick at snails but if they are big enough they do tend to leave them alone)
Unfortunately not yet, I don't have the resources or time for a planted tank, though I plan on it in the future. I just dunno how fast the snails move or how entertaining they are I don't want a mostly empty looking tabk haha. Though I hear the snails will ride on each others backs sometimes and that would be cute xD
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yes they will and they can move pretty darn fast! I actually had some Mini Yellow Rabbit Snails that moved very slow but my Pond Snails zoomed all over the place! It was rather funny!

If you really want you can split the tank in two with a divider and put two Betta's in and they could each have their own snail but that would prevent them from being able to piggyback ride. But it's just a thought :)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #7 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Lol yes they will and they can move pretty darn fast! I actually had some Mini Yellow Rabbit Snails that moved very slow but my Pond Snails zoomed all over the place! It was rather funny!

If you really want you can split the tank in two with a divider and put two Betta's in and they could each have their own snail but that would prevent them from being able to piggyback ride. But it's just a thought :)

cool!!! thank you for all the info I think I'll get one betta and 2 nerite snails x3 that will be awesome haha I hope petco has a good selection because they are the only place around here that sells fish and they are a hour away! ha. zebra snails are a species of nerite as well right? do you think that petco might have a olive nerite and zebra nerite? or are those something i would get from a breeder?

also, do you know if the bettas are a nice selection and healthy? sorry for all the questions just excited : D
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup Zebra is a type, I think it's more just different colorations though but I'm not terribly certain about that.

I know our Petco and Petsmart don't have Nerites but they might at yours. If not and you have a credit card or your parents do, you could order some offline. If you live in the US you could order from here: http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/16-snails I've used them for my Mini Yellow Rabbit snails and they came in great condition and they're very good on pricing as well!

It's also a hit or miss when it comes to Betta health with the bigger chain stores. Sometimes they will look really good but others they might be really bad looking. But if you find one that you like but it looks like it might need some fixing up first, you could always bring it home and ask the forum for what you can do to make him healthy again. Most Betta's will be much happier with warmer water and clean water and will get healthier that way but some might need a little extra care.

I assume you know about water changes and stuff like that? Also, if I remember correct, did you say you were cycling your tank before getting the Betta?

And no worries! Getting a new set up and fish is always cause to be excited for!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #9 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Yup Zebra is a type, I think it's more just different colorations though but I'm not terribly certain about that.

I know our Petco and Petsmart don't have Nerites but they might at yours. If not and you have a credit card or your parents do, you could order some offline. If you live in the US you could order from here: http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/16-snails I've used them for my Mini Yellow Rabbit snails and they came in great condition and they're very good on pricing as well!

It's also a hit or miss when it comes to Betta health with the bigger chain stores. Sometimes they will look really good but others they might be really bad looking. But if you find one that you like but it looks like it might need some fixing up first, you could always bring it home and ask the forum for what you can do to make him healthy again. Most Betta's will be much happier with warmer water and clean water and will get healthier that way but some might need a little extra care.

I assume you know about water changes and stuff like that? Also, if I remember correct, did you say you were cycling your tank before getting the Betta?

And no worries! Getting a new set up and fish is always cause to be excited for!

Yay for the link! I will probably end up having to get my fish and snails online because I live in a small town, and the petco is in Jonesboro which is also not that big. I'll take a look and hope for the best haha. Any good places to order fish? I'm leery of ordering LIVE animals but I suppose with the proper packaging it should be ok. I don't have very much experience in treating Ill fish so its better if I start with a healthy one unless I really fall in love with one. haha. I would love one with the big ruffly tails x3

Yes, after my paycheck this sunday, I'm going to go get a tank and the water conditioner and such. I already have ammonia (that DOES NOT bubble when I shake it and smells terrible. I'm pretty sure its 100% even though it isnt that Ace stuff. There is no Ace stores here.) and I am gonna cycle my tank BEFORE I get the fish. (my mom thought I should just use tetra safe start but I figured I should just be patient)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Gotcha, that's good about the ammonia. So it doesn't have any surfactants in it? Does it give ingredients at all? (And I also apologize for all the questions lol I'm excited for you!)

That's great that you are cycling it though! I wish I had done it properly before putting my Betta's in but I also didn't exactly know too much back then but everyone's pretty happy now though which is good.

So you can look in a few different places, Ebay actually sells some on there and they are usually already in America so you don't have to pay extra fees. If you go on AquaBid most of the fish are over in Thailand so you have to win the bid and I believe what happens is that it is shipped to the Tran-shipper and then there is an additional fee to get it to you but if it's a fish you REALLY want, I would say it's worth it to pay more!

I've never used it, but I know on ThatPetPlace.com and LiveAquaria.com you can message them to see if they have a particular Betta that you might want, but again I haven't done that so I don't know what they have in stock and stuff like that but they're pretty cheap so I would give it a try if all else fails.

And yeah, I love the big ruffly tails too! My halfmoon plakat (HMPK) has a rose tail which is just a halfmoon with too many branches which creates a rose look. He's in my photo album on here actually if you wanted to look at him.
And I'm a sucker for HM's in general (just look at my Avatar, that's Rembrandt) but surprisingly I only have one HM. They have a tendancy to "blow" out their fins, they get little holes from flaring too hard and they split their fins sometimes too. So it can be a bit difficult at times but he's totally worth it!

Tags
10 gallon, 10 gallon tank stocking, nerite snail