Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #11 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Gotcha, that's good about the ammonia. So it doesn't have any surfactants in it? Does it give ingredients at all? (And I also apologize for all the questions lol I'm excited for you!)

That's great that you are cycling it though! I wish I had done it properly before putting my Betta's in but I also didn't exactly know too much back then but everyone's pretty happy now though which is good.

So you can look in a few different places, Ebay actually sells some on there and they are usually already in America so you don't have to pay extra fees. If you go on AquaBid most of the fish are over in Thailand so you have to win the bid and I believe what happens is that it is shipped to the Tran-shipper and then there is an additional fee to get it to you but if it's a fish you REALLY want, I would say it's worth it to pay more!

I've never used it, but I know on ThatPetPlace.com and LiveAquaria.com you can message them to see if they have a particular Betta that you might want, but again I haven't done that so I don't know what they have in stock and stuff like that but they're pretty cheap so I would give it a try if all else fails.

And yeah, I love the big ruffly tails too! My halfmoon plakat (HMPK) has a rose tail which is just a halfmoon with too many branches which creates a rose look. He's in my photo album on here actually if you wanted to look at him.
And I'm a sucker for HM's in general (just look at my Avatar, that's Rembrandt) but surprisingly I only have one HM. They have a tendancy to "blow" out their fins, they get little holes from flaring too hard and they split their fins sometimes too. So it can be a bit difficult at times but he's totally worth it!

Oh crap, well, I'm gonna have to find ammonia elsewhere maybe? It says "Ammonium Hydroxide, Surfactant" for the ingredients. (I couldnt tell well since the label is worn out) but when you shake it, there are ZERO bubbles, and when you have it on your fingers its the same "texture" as water, and I smell NOTHING but the ammonia. Its REALLY strong haha. I dunno then? Every sign says its ok but that is on the label?

and hmmm.... I just worry about it coming dead haha. I have never ordered a fish before and don't wanna pay a arm and a leg for one. (I looked on aquabid before and some are over $20 o.o ) but those are all good ideas and I'll take a look : D I love all your links they are helpful : D and I love your fish! they are so pretty! I want a pretty ruffly one. : 3
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Everything that I've read says that if it doesn't have bubbles then it should be fine, but I know surfactant isn't good :/ hmmm, I think maybe I would stay away from that and just use Tetra's Safestart to be safe. I know it's not exactly ideal but it will actually work faster to get your tank cycled (at least from what I've read) it should cycle in 2 weeks. But yeah...I'm not sure.

If they come in dead, the seller usually as a dead on arrival policy where they will send you another fish that is nearly as equal as the one you did pay for. But I'm happy you liked the links and that I could help!

Darn, if you lived close to me I would totally take you to the shop where I got Mercury at (he's the HMPK that I was talking about) because they've got a few more like him!

So there's no small pet shops around you at all? Just the Petco an hour away?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #13 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Everything that I've read says that if it doesn't have bubbles then it should be fine, but I know surfactant isn't good :/ hmmm, I think maybe I would stay away from that and just use Tetra's Safestart to be safe. I know it's not exactly ideal but it will actually work faster to get your tank cycled (at least from what I've read) it should cycle in 2 weeks. But yeah...I'm not sure.

If they come in dead, the seller usually as a dead on arrival policy where they will send you another fish that is nearly as equal as the one you did pay for. But I'm happy you liked the links and that I could help!

Darn, if you lived close to me I would totally take you to the shop where I got Mercury at (he's the HMPK that I was talking about) because they've got a few more like him!

So there's no small pet shops around you at all? Just the Petco an hour away?

hmmm.. I dunno i posted about it to get some opinions. I might just use the tetra. I just dont wanna do anything that would be hard on the fish. Would I have to add the TST often?

AWW!! DARNNNN I want one like yours! They are so pretty!

and no, not as far as I know. I'll research on the internet, but I'm pretty sure that thats it. : (
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well that stinks about the pet shops and not being around your area!

the TSS you only add in once, you dump the whole bottle in, no matter the size of the tank, the smallest one treats up to 30 gallons though so for 10 gallons just dump it all in. I think I read somewhere it's best to keep lights off during this? I think it's for the fish to be less stressed and there's something about UV sterilizers that I don't quite understand. But you just let it run it's course for 14 days and then I think you do a large water change and voila, your tank is cycled and with less stress to your fish! Well...less than doing a Fish-In cycle without TSS.

Yeah, definitely good to get opinions about that ammonia though. What state do you live in? (assuming you're in USA since you haven't said otherwise) Maybe I could find some fish at my shop and ship them to you? Lol, just a nice thought.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #15 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Well that stinks about the pet shops and not being around your area!

the TSS you only add in once, you dump the whole bottle in, no matter the size of the tank, the smallest one treats up to 30 gallons though so for 10 gallons just dump it all in. I think I read somewhere it's best to keep lights off during this? I think it's for the fish to be less stressed and there's something about UV sterilizers that I don't quite understand. But you just let it run it's course for 14 days and then I think you do a large water change and voila, your tank is cycled and with less stress to your fish! Well...less than doing a Fish-In cycle without TSS.

Yeah, definitely good to get opinions about that ammonia though. What state do you live in? (assuming you're in USA since you haven't said otherwise) Maybe I could find some fish at my shop and ship them to you? Lol, just a nice thought.

Interesting on the TSS. I might do that. I live in Arkansas haha thats a really nice thought XD : 3 I dunno if they would survive all the way from Rhode Island o.o but that would be awesome haha
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well if I packed them correctly I'm sure they'll survive haha I've never shipped before so I'd be kind of wary to actually do it. But just in case something does come up, any colors you like in particular?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #17 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Well if I packed them correctly I'm sure they'll survive haha I've never shipped before so I'd be kind of wary to actually do it. But just in case something does come up, any colors you like in particular?

Wow! You would really be willing to do that? You are so nice o.o I love purple, black, blue, I dunno! : ) I looked at the types of tails, and the ones I like are the halfmoon ones so pretty!!! ha : 3

I'll look at petco first and hope they have one and HOPEFULLY the nerite snails, otherwise, I'm out of luck and I'm gonna have to go online ha. Btw if you have skype you are free to add me anytime : )

Last edited by Darkicydevil; 04-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I do have a skype but I never use it lol, Better to just hit me up here with a PM or something :)

And sure, I'd be willing to help you out! I mean, I can't gaurantee anything but I'd be happy to look and take some pictures if anything happens to come up. I plan on taking a trip tomorrow to just chat with the owners since I haven't gone in two weeks and I'm sure they miss me haha They know I just like to look at the fish even if I don't buy anything, they also give me wicked awesome discounts on fish sometimes!

I got Mercury for 14.99 even though he was going for 20. I was also able to haggle with them, I bought a "female" betta at walmart I was going to rescue and put in soroity but it turned to be a male so I traded it with one of their females ^^ They're pretty awesome got to say!

Good luck with your Petco and I hope you can find something decent there at least! Or at least come back to say their stock looks half healthy at least haha
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #19 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
I do have a skype but I never use it lol, Better to just hit me up here with a PM or something :)

And sure, I'd be willing to help you out! I mean, I can't gaurantee anything but I'd be happy to look and take some pictures if anything happens to come up. I plan on taking a trip tomorrow to just chat with the owners since I haven't gone in two weeks and I'm sure they miss me haha They know I just like to look at the fish even if I don't buy anything, they also give me wicked awesome discounts on fish sometimes!

I got Mercury for 14.99 even though he was going for 20. I was also able to haggle with them, I bought a "female" betta at walmart I was going to rescue and put in soroity but it turned to be a male so I traded it with one of their females ^^ They're pretty awesome got to say!

Good luck with your Petco and I hope you can find something decent there at least! Or at least come back to say their stock looks half healthy at least haha

WOW! Wish there was a store around here like that. Sounds so awesome : D

Haha I hope so. It always really depresses me to see sick fish and animals. If I do, I'll be sure to post pictures of it! : D So excited!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, they are a great store, they're only 2 1/2 months old so they pretty much need all the business they can get and they've definitely lured me in (unfortunately their equipment is too expensive so I won't be getting any of that there but their fish stock is great!)

I hope your store is good too! It's always great to see people actually taking care of their stock, can't wait to see if you find anything!! :D

Tags
10 gallon, 10 gallon tank stocking, nerite snail