Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #1 
justmel

Exclamation Moving with bettas, please advise

I'm moving this weekend! Got approved for the 4 bedroom townhouse we applied for today! It's been a rush and no time to plan. This all started last Thursday. I need to figure out the best way to move all my finned friends. Any suggestions or tips?

I'll be moving 17 male bettas, 8 female bettas, 1 unsexed juvenile betta, 5 guppys, 2 cory cats, multiple snails, about 20 six week old fry, and several live plants. I'm moving to a new place in the same town and should be able to have my tanks back up and running within 2-3 hours of tearing them down. How can I take the best care of my bettas and keep their stress down as much a possible during the move?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do you have a cooler? I find that the best way to move fish is in a cooler wether they are in bags or better yet, containers. Set them all in and wrap towels around them to keep them steady.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #3 
justmel

No cooler yet, but it's on the shopping list of things I have to have before the move. Told my old man that I would probably need two with as many fish as I have to move.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #4 
Tonksy

I have so many betta that all of mine fit in a small cardboard box rather snugly. Take some towels and put one on the bottom and wrap the sides of the cup (I usually move my betta in the store cups they came in) before placing them next to each other. It makes it more stable, keeps in heat, and keeps them from stressing and seeing one another. (I also close the box and have small air holes punched in the top. They seem to move better in the dark.)
As for the guppies/other fish, I use tupperware and jars.

Good luck and congrats on the new place!
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #5 
justmel

Thank you Tonksy, I might try that with the adult bettas. I'd worry to much about the fry and temp fluctuating, so will get a cooler for them at least. I bought quart baggies today, so I think everyone will be ok with those for the move.

Btw, I LOVE you avvie! It's been a rather long day and I needed the smile he provided. :D
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #6 
Toaster11

I am about to move as well. Thanks for the post this helps a lot. My one question to everyone already reading this is how do I move my tank properly. I do not want to lose my cycled tank. Do I take all the water out into containers?
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #7 
justmel

Toaster, if you can do that I am sure it would be ok and might even help the fish settle more. With 5 ten gallon, 2 29 gallon, and to many to count smaller tanks it's too much water for me to move though. I'm really glad my question was able to help you out as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
jentralala

The bacteria that compose the cycle aren't actually in the water, they're in the filter media, the substrate, the walls of the tank, and decorations. So you can discard the water completely, I'd just be sure to acclimate the bettas to the water at the new place if you move to a different water source :)

Also try and keep as many decorations, the filter media, and some substrate moist to keep the bacteria from drying out.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #9 
justmel

Thanks jen, that's a good idea. I can just pack some of that stuff in baggies too! Maybe even with the snails and live plants.

Anyone with any other suggestions I should consider? I thank all of you that have gone through this and are helping me move my finned family in more security and comfort.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #10 
Tonksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
Thank you Tonksy, I might try that with the adult bettas. I'd worry to much about the fry and temp fluctuating, so will get a cooler for them at least. I bought quart baggies today, so I think everyone will be ok with those for the move.

Btw, I LOVE you avvie! It's been a rather long day and I needed the smile he provided. :D
That'll work well I think. :) Good luck!

Haha thanks! Sir Betta is always happy to make someone smile
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote