Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 
cheylillymama

new tank here. Think it is cycling?

I just got my 2nd betta fish. He is a ct, and is sort of yellow with some pink and blue on his fins. Im not terribly fond of his coloring, but my daughter really really loved him when she saw him and he's growing on me. :)
I think he's pretty unique honestly. I've never seen one with a similar color at the fish stores here, anyway.

But anyway, he's set up in a nice ten gallon with 3 coreycats (2 pandas and a julii). They have a low flow filter and a very nice heater set at a cozy 78 degrees. I may go up to 80, since i got the cories from my moms tank and she had them at 80 with no problems.
My questions are: the tank is getting a little cloudy, my mom said it is "cycling"?
And also, what are the easiest plants for a beginner?
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2 
dragonx47

Java fern is pretty easy to raise as it is highly durable and doesn't necessarily have to be raised on plant substrate(can be raised on driftwood, gravel, etc.). Cycling is the process in which the nitrogen cycle is established in your tank. Basically, ammonia-eating and nitrite-eating bacteria are being formed in right there. It's generally not recommended to have your tank fully stocked while it's still cycling, but it is what it is. Be sure to get a liquid test kit to monitor you ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 
cheylillymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonx47 View Post
Java fern is pretty easy to raise as it is highly durable and doesn't necessarily have to be raised on plant substrate(can be raised on driftwood, gravel, etc.). Cycling is the process in which the nitrogen cycle is established in your tank. Basically, ammonia-eating and nitrite-eating bacteria are being formed in right there. It's generally not recommended to have your tank fully stocked while it's still cycling, but it is what it is. Be sure to get a liquid test kit to monitor you ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.
So what do I need to do while it cycles?
how long does it usually take?
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

There are some really great Stickies that explain everything about cycling.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 04-30-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to add: They're under Bowls, Habitats, etc. It will get you immedieate answers.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #5 
dragonx47

Yeah, as Russell said the stickied posts are really helpful. In a nutshell, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to like 2 months. While it's cycling, just monitor the levels to make sure everything is working. At this point, there's not much you can do to help your fish.
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 
Myates

Cycling thread. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 
LouiMon

You need to monitor water parameters and keep them safe with water changes. This will probably be very difficult with so many fish. I'm cycling a ten gallon with a single male Betta and it's required 50% water changes at least once a day and often twice.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote