Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 
Nowaykittay

Question tetra whisper 3i (it certainly doesnt whisper)

so i bought the tetra whisper 3i filter for my 2.5 gallon around a month ago but i didnt keep it in the tank for longer than 10 minutes. i assembled it exactly as the instructions said and it was a hot mess. it needs to stick out above the water line making the glass lid uneven because its sticking up like 2 inches in the back. when i actually turn it on bubbles come out from all over the place! it looked like the tank water was boiling. its also the noisiest filter ive ever heard. the pump vibrates loudly and the actual filter vibrates against the glass lid.

im fed up and kind of mad that i wasted the money when im already struggling financially as a college student. i doubt that i can return it now because it has been used (kinda) and wont really fit back into the box correctly.

is there anything i can do with it now other than just throwing it out? are there any cheap filters that are better? if it wasnt so expensive id just get a 5-10 gallon aquarium kit with a filter included but it would take me forever to save up at this rate. my budget for "fun" stuff (where the fish stuff falls) is $25-ish. any suggestions are appreciated!
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #2 
Mashiro

I have this same filter in my Aqueon 2.5g Mini Bow. I quite like it actually. It's quiet and doesn't "boil" like yours does. The current is low too, and doesn't slosh my betta around.

Maybe it's a random defect?

But if you really want a different one, I suggest this one. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4144&subref=AA

It has an adjustable flow and is easily modded to be filled with better bio media. But that's entirely up to you, it's fine on it's own.

Last edited by Mashiro; 04-29-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #3 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
I have this same filter in my Aqueon 2.5g Mini Bow. I quite like it actually. It's quiet and doesn't "boil" like yours does. The current is low too, and doesn't slosh my betta around.

Maybe it's a random defect?

But if you really want a different one, I suggest this one. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4144&subref=AA

It has an adjustable flow and is easily modded to be filled with better bio media. But that's entirely up to you, it's fine on it's own.
well what the hey hey! im pretty sure i installed it correctly! does yours vibrate loudly?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #4 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaykittay View Post
well what the hey hey! im pretty sure i installed it correctly! does yours vibrate loudly?
Well, you can hear the air pump vibrate, sure, but it's not loud enough to be annoying or anything like that.

The filter itself is completely silent though. It's right next to my bed and I'm a light sleeper. I have no trouble with it.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #5 
mermaid77

Yes, it is LOUD imo...Hated that thing...I replaced mine with a TOM mini internal filter...this thing is dead quiet. It runs about $13-15 on Amazon and about that same price online at Walmart.
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #6 
ryancalif

Another option is the Tetra 10i whisper internal filter. It's a totally different design from the 3i... it actively pumps the water using an impeller, which is housed under water. They are virtually silent.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #7 
Lena N

Yes, it is not whisper at all. It is like boiling pot :). I had it in 1,5 G Tetra tank. Though I still have it I prefer to keep my boys in 2,5 G without gravel and filter.

If I was fish I would get crazy from that noise...

I am sure you can return it. But I kept mine as I could use pump for sponge filter in future. Just need to buy sponge(it is not expensive). I saw in store for about 4-6-8$. So if you can not return, you could do the same. Do not get very upset.

I did not like 10i whisper too. I had it in Hex Tank (I returned), it is very strong for betta. Though if your tank is long (not tall) in shape it could work. But no more whispers for me ever :).

Last edited by Lena N; 04-29-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #8 
Cliffy

You can return it. I used that filter along with the set up it came with for a week. I just washed everything good with warm water before I returned it. Should be fine. Just tell them that you didn't like it and they can't argue with you. I didn't really like it either, personally. I was told that filters are pretty much useless in 1.5 gallon tanks (when I had one), so I had to give it up anyway. GL finding a better, and silent filter! :)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #9 
Nowaykittay

thank you for all the responses! turning it into a sponge filter sounds like a great idea. i guess its basically just an air pump anyways. im thinking of buying either the TOM internal filter or a marina i25 internal filter does anyone know of any pros/cons for either?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #10 
Briz

Marina i25. It's wonderful.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote