Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #121 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The closest I can get is that Alternanthera Reineckii and still, mine are growing one leaf per node while that one is two leafs per node opposite sides so I really don't know! But it does seem to be some type of Hygrophila. But the reineckii is said to be the easiest to grow out of all the Alternanthera's so that's good to know at least! So far it's doing really well in my tanks!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #122 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 97

Posting from last night.

So for those of you who are not on my regular Betta Log or new to the journal, I ordered Red Rili Shrimp that were advertised at 1-1.5 inches big. So I was like, okay, small but still will probably be able to be quick enough for my Betta's. Plan was to put them in the sorority tank. However when I recieved them, none of them were over .7-.8 inches.....I'm like, seriously?!?!? Where the hell am I going to put them?!?! I wasn't going to float them in the sorority just to stay warm until they're bigger because that would take too long so I decided that Tony would be the best option to put them in with.

Now I knew some of them were small enough to go through the divider so I know I was going to lose some to Steve but I didn't think I was going to lose some to Tony!! The little bugger attacked one of the small red ones and kept attacking, the poor thing lived for quite a while but eventually he did die. Most of the other's have been able to ellude the two boy's so for that I'm thankful! Steve actually couldn't catch the three that got to his side! I was very surprised but he seemed more happy to just chase them and not try to eat them like Tony did.

I even fed them frozen bloodworms before this >.> ungrateful butts! lol

I'm calling this the Shrimp S/Laughter because it's both funny and not funny lol. So far only one has died out of the 10-12 I do have but we'll see what the future brings....and without further ado, here is the story!

"Where'd he go?!?! I just saw him!"

This smart one went into the gravel after being chased lol, Steve couldn't get at him!

Buuuut then he got out of the gravel...

"I SEE YOU!"

"Wait.....where'd he go?"

"I can't find him...."

This one went to work right away haha

"I swore I just saw one right here!"

"There was one over here too....where did they go?! Toooonnnny, help me find them!"

"...hehe..."

"Honey not right now, I'm stuffin' my face with Shrimp! Fine dining tonight dear!"

This one is one of the bigger one's.....

And this is before the Shrimp S/Laughter lol somehow Steve bit his anal fin too.....I really hope this isn't becoming a trend >.>
Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #123 
BettaLover1313

Just finished reading this journal and your two boys are hilarious not to mention beautiful! It's amazing how much they've grown from the start of this journal!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #124 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahah, thanks BettaLover!! I'm glad you enjoyed the read!! It is crazy looking back at all the mischief they got themselves into XD crazy Betta's! haha
Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #125 
Mar

Agggh They're so beautiful!
The shrimp slaughter is actually kinda funny to me, lol.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #126 
Huffle Puffles

Yay! Storytime! That was a fun read/picture show, especially the "hehe" pic, thanks for sharing The Shrimp S/Laughter with us
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #127 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, I'm glad y'all enjoyed it! Yeah, it was meant to be lighthearted and kind of funny. Good god, what would have happened if I put them into the sorority? Geeze, the girls would have gobbled them up before they even hit substrate!! yikes!

So so far I can see at least three are still hiding in the divider between Tony and Mercury. Just that snail still between Tony and Steve's divider. I had moved the terracotta piece in Tony's side down so that basically only shrimp and maybe Baby Spot can get in there so hopefully I can get some shrimp to grow! lol

At least it made for a good story! lol yeah, I do enjoy reading it again how I pieced it together XD that pretty much was how it went though, just with my added dialogue

Both babies as well though, although Steve is now refusing NLS pellets....stuck up brat! And Tony is eating neither flakes nor pellets....both will only take frozen BW's right now...sigh....idk what I'm going to do with these two lol
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #128 
Viva

Hehe those poor shrimps! I was actually laughing to myself last night because I had baked stuffed shrimp for dinner at the Ninety Nine and then went home to feed all the bettas some frozen brine shrimp, so we all had shrimp dinners! Looks like your guys had one too, lol! I was hesitant to put my 3 new Amano shrimp into my sorority and BB, the dominant girl, actually nipped at one of them a few times but then just stared at it after the shrimp just sat there and gave no care at all. So far the two bigger ones are definitely in there swimming about but the smaller one I haven't seen today, but he could just be hiding somewhere. I hope the rest of your shrimp survive the betta attacks :D They are really pretty shrimp, I might have an all RCS tank one day.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #129 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

LOL! Oh that's so funny Viva!! I can't eat shrimp <---allergic so unfortunately I can't share in the joy my fish get when they eat shrimp haha but that's fine by me XD

I think Tony ate more because he was refusing flakes and had quite a full tummy unless that one shrimp filled him up. But I think I see part of it in the back of the tank....I'll have to clean the tank out soon, today is actually tank cleaning day anyway. I won't be moving the terracotta pot in case they are under there, don't want Tony to be getting more food >.< poor shrimps, I do feel bad though.

I would definitely love a tank of all Red Rili Shrimp, they're so beautiful! I think prettier than RCS. I love Cardinal Shrimp too but too expensive! At least for now, but I've got my whole life ahead of me
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #130 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 99

Posting as if from Saturday, today would be Day 101! holy mackerel!

Okay so there have been three shrimp sightings!! The three of the bigger ones have survived and for that I am happy!!!

Shrimp on Steve's side.

Chillin out, munching on some tasty morsels

And this is normally what I come home to lol. The mesh is doubled up and they aren't sewed together so he can go between them in the back and he often does to look at Tony, quite cute actually. But half the time he scares the crap out of me because I can't find them and then look into the divider and go "ooh, I see you," lol

Baby Spot! Sorry it's hard to see but it's really hard to get a picture of her, she's got a really nice spread though got to say Still thinking she's guppy but she could just be a mix of Guppy/Endler and be female so she'll lack color. But I'm pretty sure they kept their Endler's and Guppy's in separate tanks.

I get this often too lol

Steve is a little bugger! That's for sure! The stinker found a shrimp and he slllloooowwwwlly inched his way forward lol, it was rather funny.

Mr. Shrimpy, you should swim away lol

Whew man, you're getting close!

ANNNNNND he went for him but the shrimp was too fast lol Thank the Lord!

And Mr. Shrimp on Tony's side, this one is much bigger than the one on Steve's side.

Cool pic of him swimming

And the little shrimp killer himself haha, don't know what I'll do with this one XD

And then the two were peaking at each other

This picture looks funny because Steve looks 2D lol, that's how Betta fins are supposed to be but this was just a great angle XD

And the pretty boy knows he's pretty!

And that's it for today