Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #291 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
Lilnaugrim, remember the little cambodian baby Betta I bought and posted questions about? You helped me figure out he was a boy, well he just died this morning. I dont know what happened, I was on top of water changes and he had great food, but still I only could get him to live for 12 days.. So sad, no more Petco babies for me.
His pics are in my sorority journal. =(
Oh no, I'm so sorry as we've discussed here though, it's often not our fault. It happens with adults too, we can be the best keepers and for some reason, they still die no matter all the things we do right. One of the biggest reasons, at least I think, that PetCo babies die is because they've been through this huge trauma of shipping, they don't come from local breeder's so they often spend a few day's in cold, freezing shipping bags that only further hurt them! So it's quite often, I would say at least half if not 60% of those babies end up dying from all the stress they've been under. Being separated from their spawn is just not a good idea but Breeder's just want the more money.

I'm sorry for your loss though he did look like a nice healthy baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
Yeah, but they breed like CRAZY! Within 2 months you can have hundreds-thousands of babies. But they are really pretty and it is fun to watch them grow.
I plan on picking out the not good ones and feeding them to Rembrandt and Aero since they are the most aggressive and will tear apart other fishes in their domain. Charlie is the gentlest betta I've ever owned! He's so dainty for a giant lol.

I also have a friend with an Oscar would'd love the culls for his fish!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #292 
PetMania

I was thinking the same thing. Hehe, my loach would love fry. He's 2 inches and he already murdered a smaller snail.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #293 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 98 and 22

Posting from Saturday yeah that was a long time ago lol. I apologize, it was a pretty hectic weekend! Between trying to finish commissions and my final animation project, yeah I'm pooped!

So I didn't really actually get any good pictures I'm just now realizing haha. I got one good one of Kit-Kat though, just her regular picture but she's filling out pretty well. I know it's not much change but for almost having her a month (crazy how time flies!), she's grown fairly well!

Name:  IMG_0044.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  45.4 KB
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #294 
annyann

Kit-Kat is looking good! At my local pet stores I never see a black or dark bodied Betta with red fins, they always have the light colored bodies.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #295 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah they come in waves. Sometimes we have light colored ones and then at other times in the year we have darker ones. It all depends on who's breeding and how fast they're breeding
Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #296 
annyann

I'm always looking and hoping I will get lucky and find a dark bodied one with bright red or blue fins.
I haven't had any time on the computer in over a week, I been meaning to look back threw your journal and read about your sorority. I plan to add more females to my tank and actually just bought one, but she is way to aggressive and I'm going to have to take her back. I didn't actually put her in the tank, just in a specimen container in the tank and she flared and tryed to attack every girl that swam by. That's just the way my "big blue" was and when I let her out she teared every girls fins and she had to be removed. I think the new girl I got is a good bit older cause she is bigger, I need to find younger girls that are closer to the size of the girls in my tank. I hope that will make it easier to add more. Right now, with only five girls in a 25 gallon tank, it looks so bare.
Did you find there to be a difference in the amount of aggression between VT and CT females? I read somewhere that the CT girls tend to be more aggressive so I have only bought VT so far, but the selection on CT's was so much better last time I went that I almost bought one, plus they were smaller like my five girls in the tank are.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #297 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

When they first see each other it's very natural for them to flare. What you have to do is float them in the tank, either in the specimen container or a cup they can't get out of, float them for a minimum of one week so that they can get used to the presence of another fish. If needed, float for two weeks. Then when you release her, watch how she interacts with them. If you find she's doing some serious damage like biting off tails and fins completely, yeah take her out and try doing the Time Out session again for two weeks (floating in tank so they can see but not touch). This can also act as a QT period since you need to QT them for the minimum of two weeks if not more.

What I did was acclimate them to my sorority water, change their water from the store cups to my water and then float them. I would usually tether them to the side with a twisty tie or something so they didn't float away and sink under the filter or anything. Then every day or every other I would take my spare cup, fill with water from the tank and put the girl into that new cup. Throw out old water, don't put it back into tank since the whole point of quarantine is to keep the tank disease free!

Then by the time their two week probationary period came to a rest, all the girls were comfortable with each other. Yes, occasionally you will get the random girl that can't be housed in a tank but generally with some patience, they can be housed together.

Tearing, ripping, niping and chasing are all very normal for the fish when they are first introduced to the sorority. There will be body slamming and flaring and more, it's part of their need to figure out hierarchy and you have to let them go at it. Only remove if you find the bully doing some serious damage as I said before, like literally taking chunks out of the fish. But all the nipping and tearing and chasing is all normal and has to be done, usually it lasts about 2 weeks.

There was a small study saying that CT's and red girls were more aggressive however I found that my CT girl was very submissive and my red girl was the sweetest girl in the tank. It's hard to say that one color is more aggressive than the other. It's like saying black people are angrier, that's racist lol. Each fish has their own personality and while some may conform to that, most of them don't.

Also size of the fish doesn't matter either, I had one of my smaller girls be Alpha for quite a while, she was eventually pushed down by a bigger fish but size doesn't control the amount of aggression or submission they have. Same thing in people, just because someone looks big and scary doesn't mean they actually are

Also more about my sorority is in my Betta Log, not this one since this is for my babies rather than my other fish. Although lately it's become about everyone haha. All is well though!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #298 
annyann

Thanks for all the info, the big blue girl was doing some serious fin ripping when she was in the tank, none of the five that I have in there now were any where near as aggressive as she was. I still have her, she is in a 1 gallon tank by her self, the new girl I just bought acted just the same, for that reason and also quarantining, is why she wasn't let out. So you think Im giving up to easy on them? You're probably right, but its just such a difference in behavior between the big blue girl, new girl, and then the other five. I wonder how it would go if I put both my new girl (after quirinten) and Big blue in to float for a few days and then introduced them at the same time... I wonder if they would bully each other and leave my other peaceful five alone for the most part... I don't know, its hard to figure what's the best thing to do.
Sorry im kinda spamming your Baby Betta thread!!
I will switch over and check out your Betta log, actully Im on page 11 right now
Old 11-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #299 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol no worries, I don't mind the talking ^_^ And uhhh yeah, good luck reading it all! I talk a lot too haha and 90 some odd pages....yep!

I would float them for a minimum of a week if you want to put them both in, two weeks is the best though in my opinion. When I see a girl is aggressive when she comes out, she's already been floating for two weeks. So she actually get's a full month of floating really when I float her in for "Time Out" another two weeks.

So yeah, I think you are giving up too early and not letting them get to know each other first through floating

The most important things I've learned in sorority keeping is Quarantining (QT) at least two weeks, heavily planted tank (silk or real doesn't matter), and give them time