betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #31 
Darkicydevil

ohhh!!! I love it! they are developing their colors nicely! <3
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #32 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks! I think so too!! I can't wait to see what they will be at a month next Friday! I think they will be a month an a half then...not entirely sure since I'm only going by this chart: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bettagrowth.html So I think I got them just about 3 weeks old, but knowing they are probably the runts of the liter.

I think Steve is just about an inch but he won't stay still for me to measure and then Tony's not too far behind him either.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #33 
Manisha

Your babies are so adorable. Many people don't like that Petco sells them. I love that I can buy a baby and watch it grow because don't think I would ever breed bettas. I have two baby fish from Petco about 1 month old. I had three but lost one though I did all I could to keep them healthy.

You inspired me yet again. I think I will go pick up two more as my petco probably has 50+!!! and split a tank for them. Thanks for sharing. I will be watching the updates!!
Manisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #34 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisha View Post
Your babies are so adorable. Many people don't like that Petco sells them. I love that I can buy a baby and watch it grow because don't think I would ever breed bettas. I have two baby fish from Petco about 1 month old. I had three but lost one though I did all I could to keep them healthy.

You inspired me yet again. I think I will go pick up two more as my petco probably has 50+!!! and split a tank for them. Thanks for sharing. I will be watching the updates!!
Oooh, did I inspire you before?! That really made my day though, to hear that!

For me, the baby's being sold is a mixed feeling. I love that I can buy them and watch them grow but at the same time I feel horrible in the conditions they leave them in at the store. My Petco feeds them a whole Freeze-Dried Bloodworm!! And then let's it sit! The baby's don't eat them because they can't even take a bite out of it! I had gone back and many were dead so I felt terrible.

Once I have more room (well I hope no one dies! But if they do, I can get another baby or a rescue) I'll hopefully get another to watch it grow :)

Thank you for the wonderful comment and I'll try to keep fairly regular with the updates and pictures!! :D

P.S. You should do a log for your babies too so I can stalk them! haha
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 26

Not too much has changed, divider is holding nicely and Steve is growing wonderfully! I worry about Tony though, he likes to spit out his food and let it fall to the floor....

Tony also changed his tail on me....he might be going VT? Although I didn't really know that could happen! Maybe it was just a phase that he was going through as he grew and the rest of his fin grew in? Not a clue....still uncertain about his gender as well. He certainly will be a surprise! haha

Pic time!

Tony first since I always get the least amount of photos from him. He sees me and suddenly doesn't sit still! Oh my god, this fish! Such a pain in the behind!
He's growing, just slowly, those small Ventral's say "girl" to me though.

Still a pretty pointed anal fin though!

He's got pretty blue eyes, STOP MOVING! lol

What is with that tail????!?!?

And Steve's turn! I wonder if eye color is an indication of color sometimes? My DSPK is light blue and his eyes match. The only Betta I have that the eyes don't match or is the normal "Brown" is Phoenix, she's red and has light blue eyes.

Well okay, he's got red and blue...hmm

Tail

And that's all for today :)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #36 
Manisha

humm..I can't see the pictures. It says they were removed or deleted.

My oldest baby grew overnight last night. He went from brown with a strip to completely bright blue and red in a night. I started feeding him brine shrimp and he LOVES them.
Manisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisha View Post
humm..I can't see the pictures. It says they were removed or deleted.

My oldest baby grew overnight last night. He went from brown with a strip to completely bright blue and red in a night. I started feeding him brine shrimp and he LOVES them.
Thanks! Oh darn, I knew moving them to a new folder was a bad idea >< Darn photobucket, I'll have to fix that somehow!

But that sounds adorable :D

EDIT: I moved the pictures back to their original folder, I can see them now so maybe you can too? *crosses fingers* I hope!

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #38 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 31

Wow it's been a full month! I don't think they're getting adequate food though, Steve's grown but Tony is still kind of...small. It's hard though because I'm not there Sunday-Wendesday morning and I don't trust my brother enough to feed them during that time properly. He'd just dump the bag in there >< I mean...I'm sure he would if I actually explained it, he's lazy but he's not stupid.

Anyway, divider is still holding thank the lord! I added the Whisper 3i filter...well actually I just plugged it in, it was on Tony's side but I didn't want it to blow her around too much since she still has troubles swimming. So I moved it to Steve's side and he could care less about it haha.

I can't get near the tank without them going berserk on me! Thus making for some very bad pictures :( I took 73 photos of just them and I think I got like 6 of them to be "decent". My camera didn't want to focus today though so blech >.>

Steve looking at his reflection:

Tony just popped a bubble lol

Fat and irritated lol Still turning VT on me!

Size comparison, Steve is much bigger than Tony...sigh, Tony just spits out half of what I try to give her! Spoiled brat lol

Only good picture of Steve today

This is about the distance I have to be for my camera to work well and for Tony to stop moving on me ><

Yeah and that's it for today, everything else was too darn blurry!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 33

Oh my god, it feels like it's so hot in my room right now...I've even got the windows open....uggg

Anywho, Steve and Tony are doing great! Well....Tony hasn't grown much and I don't know why. I feed her the same I feed Steve and he's almost a whole centimeter longer than her ><

Both are super active and won't let me take decent pictures, yet again! Seriously! It's like they know!

Steve in his stripped glory...don't know why he was so stressed today but he nearly lost all his color, even after I fed him....weirdo

His anal fin is coming along nicely though

Tony still holding that slight 'S'. I never did do the Epsom salt but I almost don't want to risk it but I seriously just watched her swim down and then float helplessly up under the heater....kind of looks like she's going suicidal. Half the time she won't move unless something catches her eye like my foot moving or Steve moving.

Steve regaining some color. Oh good, Tony moved again and started to swim. I always get worried when she floats up like that :/

Eh, pictures aren't good today :/

Steve trying to be cute lol

And that's all for today, uggg I'm going to go try and cool down now.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 36

Well Tony's got me thoroughly confused by it's gender and tail type lol. Today I'm finding more rays sticking out of the tail but....yeah I still don't know! And today the anal fin looks really pointed, looks like the ventral fins have grown in but I can't see through to see if it's got ovaries ><

So everything else seems to be going well other than Tony being picky about his food (just going to refer to it as him since at this point I don't care lol). I did a 75% water change today to prepare for me not being here till Wednesday afternoon. The whisper 3i is running to keep the water circulated at least and the tank has been at a steady 80, woot woot!

The sprig of water sprite that I've got on Steve's side is dying but it's putting off plantlets so I want it to grow enough and then get rid of the sprig when it completely dies off.

I added about a 1/8th teaspoon of epsom salt yesterday to see if it would relieve Tony a bit and good news! I haven't seen him float all day today!! I didn't add in any more epsom salt so presumably I took the majority of it out with the water change today. He's still doing great though and it's been about 6 hours since that!

So picture time!

Those Ventrals!

Steve decided he wanted to stripe all day long...

Excuse the mess of flakes, that was Tony being picky, that was all cleaned up with the water change.

Striping but he's got body growth!

Looks like Tony's taking on more of a 'male' body figure though!

I don't see any ovaries....you can sort of see the spikes on his caudal as well

Steve's tail!!! Oh and that's a bubble in front of him.

Holding a ventral up

So far Steve's kept his "lipstick" I hope he never looses it!!

Eh, camera was being lame..

I feel like, when I look at other people's Betta Baby logs, they've grown so much by a month's time!! Why aren't my baby's growing? Well...they are growing...I just got them really small and I slacked on water changes last week....and then there was the feeding issue when I first started...I guess there's a lot of factors, huh.