Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #41 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 44

So on Friday I decided to swap out Rembrandt in the 5.5 and split it for the two babies. I did have 5 Platy Fry in with Remmy, he was the only one who's got a long enough tail that he couldn't swim fast enough so he gave up trying to eat them. They were too big anyway, he was just chasing but eventually he didn't care.

But then for some reason they all died, I think it was because of a mini-cycle on the tank when the filter cartridge just died, literally and I just stuffed the filter with some AquaClear foam but I feel like there should have been enough BB in the tank and on the filter/carbon as well but it seemed to have disturbed the Platy fry.

So the last one died Friday morning and that was when I decided a switch was in order.

I took out the babies, did a 85% water change on the 3 gallon and moved over a bunch of the plants from the 5.5. Took Rembrandt out and split the 5.5 gallon and did a 75% change on that one. Trimmed and took off dead leaves from the plants and filled both back up.

I got Rembrandt situated first and he seemed so happy to be by my bedside again, the 3 gallon is sitting on my nightstand (last available surface besides the floor haha) and so he was zooming around and since his tail is a little more healed up I can start taking proper photos of him!

So anyway, this is about the baby's, not Remmy haha.

So Tony went on the left side and Steve went on the right with the filter and the heater. Both loved the upgrade so much! Tony's finally growing out a little more and it's definitely a boy. His ventral fins have gotten longer and his anal fin sharper. He's still confusing me about whether he's a VT or a CT, I still see some ray's sticking out but they aren't as pronounced as they were when he was younger so he's a 'wait and see'

Steve on the other hand is growing out his fins like crazy! He's a beautiful teal blue most of the time when he's not striping, with a red wash to his anal fin.

Both are crazy hard to photograph so...sorry y'all will have to make due with what I've got here lol

Tony's red is finally coming in better:

Tail is folded but you can see he's got beautiful wild marking's on his dorsal

More markings and a cute blurry face

Here's their new digs. Tony left towards the top middle and Steve right on the bottom left, the blue blur

One of the better pictures I could get of Steve. HE DOESN'T SIT STILL! He was stripping unfortunately though, but you see how blue and red his fins are.

Tony's ventral's which are split and already dipped in white so he probably won't become a beautiful show fish (not that I had intentions lol)

Tail!!!! New growth or is he going to be a butterfly? My hopes are way too high for these two haha

Fin growth

And that's it for today folks! Join me back here in a few days when I can get proper photos of them!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #42 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 49

You know I feel like they should be more grown up at this point. I know I was slacking on my water changes and only doing it twice a week on the 3 gallon so they're probably stunted from that and from when they were in the cups but it's so frustrating that it seems they haven't grown!

Well now they are in the 5.5 and Tony certainly has colored up more, grew out his fins a little more too and he's looking more VT these days....which I'm fine with but I really wanted a CT oh well, he's beautiful anyway!

So I've been super busy with petsitting/housesitting and my day job now which is only 3 5hr days but it's still a job. And then on top we've been having Kitten Playdates for our kittens and their new owners. So that's been taking up a lot of time as well. Oy what a hectic past two weeks!

So I've dubbed Steve as Mister Zoomsalot along with Tony and Aero lol, I CAN'T GET PICTURES! oy! and it's not like I can zoom out a bit and hope to get them in the shot like I do with Aero because they aren't half his size yet lol

But here are the pictures that sort of came out......

Tony:

Excuse the dying plant, it will be taken out shortly when I pull off the babies.

And the two of them
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #43 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 56

Wow! Day 56 already!!! I can't believe I've had them for almost two months now!

They're growing slowly but they are growing! I know I'm not able to feed them enough with my new job now and I feel absolutely terrible for it and I'm only able to get in two water changes a week but they're both at 80%. I just feel so bad that I can't give them the care that they need, of course going into this I didn't know exactly what it was I was supposed to do for them. I'm hoping I can invest in some Frozen BW's for treats for everyone, especially the babies in hopes the extra protein will help now.

Now they are eating crushed NLS pellets and NLS small fish flakes which are also high in protein thankfully. The cuties are developing well though! And I've got pictures to prove it! lol

So Tony is developing some sort of black butterfly on him, I really hope he keeps it through his development.
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

And here's one of both of them for size comparison. I'm really sorry I can't get any good pictures of Steve. He's too darn fast!!! Aero who I formally called Mister Zoomsalot has finally slowed down while Steve has seemingly sped up! So the title has thus been passed down to Steve, aka Mister Zoomsalot!

But every time I try to take a pic of Steve he either gets out of the picture too fast or the darn camera focuses too much on the plant behind him >.> darn camera!! I wish I had a "sports" setting so I could take action pictures!!! lol
Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Day 59

So Steve is growing like a weed!! He's huge now and he metabolizes his food so quickly! Tony is still on the small side and geez, he eats just a few NLS flakes and he's got like a huge baby tummy going on! I literally can only feed him twice a day because I'm afraid he's going to burst! He doesn't metabolize it as quick as Steve does, I can feed Steve the same amount about 4 or 5 times a day and he's still so skinny at the end of the day!! I literally cannot believe how appropriate their names are!

So I've gotten more pictures of Steve finally, got the camera and him to cooperate, I took over 100 pictures of just him and actually got quite a few nice ones!

So anyway, enjoy the pics!!

Look at that cute face!
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/nfs9osj]

Tail is growing out wonderfully! I wonder if he'll also be a butterfly!
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/npzkwij]

Look through to his boyfriend
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/0iht6ij]

That face! I can't get enough!
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/0l34dmj]

Poor boy's got a crooked spine but I'm sure he'll grow up to be a real stud!
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/jo08dzj]

Just a cool pic of his beautiful tail
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/595co5j]

Look at those beautiful fins! He's obviously showing off for his boyfriend
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/mr2o6rj]

[url=http://imageshack.com/i/jt87dgj]

Fins look a bit purply!
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/nrv69gj]

Yep, crooked spine but he's going to be so beautiful and handsome! Just like the All-American boy he is!
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/7g4qr0j]

And the only good one I got of Tony, he was being fat at the time and this was about 3-4 hours after his feeding! See?!?! But darn, look at that tail! I see two splits for sure, but it almost looks like he's splitting again, I really hope so! But I'll be happy with a beautiful VT as well
[url=http://imageshack.com/i/n1aj7yj]
Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #45 
Mar

They've grown up so beautifully! Must've been such a chore to do all those water changes and feeding them so often, but I bet it's sooo worth it! The appeal about baby bettas is being able to raise them yourself and the surprise at the end, for me anyway!

Idk, I just would really like to look over at my baby betta in a couple of months and be like "I raised that"

I think the majority of babies do turn out to be VT because that seems to be the only way VTs will actually sell, they're becoming really unpopular lately :/
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #46 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
They've grown up so beautifully! Must've been such a chore to do all those water changes and feeding them so often, but I bet it's sooo worth it! The appeal about baby bettas is being able to raise them yourself and the surprise at the end, for me anyway!

Idk, I just would really like to look over at my baby betta in a couple of months and be like "I raised that"

I think the majority of babies do turn out to be VT because that seems to be the only way VTs will actually sell, they're becoming really unpopular lately :/
Yes! I completely agree! That's why I wanted the babies ^_^ even if they are more work, it is totally worth it and it's a bit of good practice for if I want to breed down the end of the line.

The thing with VT's is that people keep breeding the same boring colors over and over and over and over again hence they are becoming less attractive. But the IBC is actually talking about bring VT's back into showing! I find that if they have interesting patterns and bred well then they are so beautiful! I never knew what a flaring VT looked like before I came to this site and the first time I saw it I was like "What is THAT?! I want it!!!" lol and then I found out it's a VT!

I totally want a line of MG VT's or Marble VT's! That would be the best I think!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #47 
Mar

Uuugh, so I just typed out like 2 whole paragraphs, and I'm too lazy to do all that again, so here's a quick summary!

VTs can be super pretty, and here are the ones I think are visually stimulating ;p

x
x
x
x
x
Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #48 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ugg I hate when that happens! Yes I love number 1 for sure!!! And then 4 and 5 are beautiful too, I'm a sucker for orange and then orange/blue combo (hence MG) so yes, totally smitten by them!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #49 
Mar

I know right, 4 and 5 are definitely my favourites!

I would name number 4 creamsicle. I literally want a popsicle right now lmao.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #50 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I know right, 4 and 5 are definitely my favourites!

I would name number 4 creamsicle. I literally want a popsicle right now lmao.
Lol! Yes creamsicle would be the obvious choice I want a dreamsicle right now, I couldn't care less about popsicles haha, give me the chocolate ones! Fudgsicles are the best!