Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #1 
jana63

Exclamation Do I need to do anything?

Yikes, I'm so upset! I came home from work today and I couldn't see my betta.... I was here about two hours, thinking he was probably in his little cave.... Then, all the sudden, I noticed that he was caught down below some rocks (yes, they were bigger rocks....now I'm going to get those things out and never use them again!).... Anyway, I flew over and pulled the rocks out of the way and he made a beeline to the top to get air. He's now been uncaught for about 5 minutes and continues to go to the surface to get air... a lot.

I guess I just need to wait to see if he's okay.... I guess he needs lots of air for a while.... should I do anything else? I have some aquarium salt, but I have no idea how to use it.... or maybe I should just leave him alone for a while?

Please, if you have any advice..... How long can they go without air? I have no idea how long he's been under the rocks!!

Thank you for listening.
jana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #2 
Myates

No need for anything else..

Poor guy lol. I have one that I've had for a couple years named No Name.. he has the same problem. Eventually his tank had to be bare, otherwise he ended up stuck in anything placed in there. Some how, some way.. he would get stuck. Had to rescue him countless times.. daily. Literally. Sigh.. silly fish.

You got lucky, as they can drown.. yes, a fish that can drown. But as long as he is free swimming, moving around he should be fine. He is just getting his oxygen back into his body now.. just keep an eye on him and if he starts having issues such as lethargy, loss of color, can't seem to swim up to the top anymore then you can lower his water level.. otherwise if he is swimming around fine then he should be okay.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I feel you here... The exact same thing happened with my Pigg, and he just hung out at the top for a while before deciding he was all better and swimming happily as usual. Hopefully the same thing happens for your guy!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #4 
isochronism

If there are any nooks or crannies, gaps behind filters, holes in ornaments, nick-knacks, tank chachkas, a Betta can get stuck because of their curiousity or boredom. Tanks need to be child-proofed. (fish-proofed)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 
isochronism

My fish recently got his tail caught in some rooted Najas Grass. He was frantically trying to get to the surface. He must have only been stuck for a few minutes. I quickly freed him and removed that plant.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #6 
jana63

Thank you so much for listening and sharing. :) My betta is doing fine - thank goodness! I removed the big rocks and he seems happy now. I'm so happy! :)
jana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #7 
bannlow2471

So glad he's ok - I actually have been amazed at the situations these guys can get themselves in ... and it seems, in my limited experience, to be the boys who are famous for it. My "baby" male seems to actively LOOK for ways to get himself in trouble, so I've had to rearrange things several times for him. And I've seen Murray, my VT, get himself into some tight spots in his tank - but I think that's mostly because of how long and heavy his tail is. Anyway, just so glad he's ok!!!!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote