Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #1 
Nibblez

HOB Filters - Reducing currents

I thought i might post it here just as an idea. I'm not sure if there are any better ideas out there but this is what i came up with and wanted to share with everyone.

My HOB filter is a Aquamanta 70 and it comes with quite a decent filter cartridge, i might be removing that filter cartridge for my own filter media so that might reduce the current as well.

Anyways, heres what i did:
The HOB is running on max output right now, the total amount of water outflow is around the same as when its on mid power without being baffled. I used a fluval edge intake foam for the intake (see fig 1) and a bio sponge folded over stuffed in the spout with a rubber band to hold the lid down(see fig 2). Its pretty simple and straight forward but its pretty effective. Only thing about this is that you need to take caution with the water level in the filter, because the spout is stuffed, the water level will rise in the filter. Also check if the water flows out of the areas around the spout as there might be some adjusting required, so far its been fine for me.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

It looks pretty clean and simple as you can see in Fig 3, it doesnt really show. I filled the tank up to the spout so that the sponge is just touching the water.

Are there any other ways of baffling a HOB? Cause if there are better ways it would be nice to know. Hope this helps.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nifty! I use water bottles to baffle my filters, well it more redirects the flow out the sides and down the back instead of in front. Here's the link to basically what I do: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Although I don't use the whole water bottle like it is shown, I cut what is shown in half so that the curve still reaches to the back but because most bottles won't fit all the way over the bigger filters, I just duct tape mine on with black duct tape since most of my filters are black :) It's served me well so far, although it was harder with the filter rated for 45 gallons since it was a bigger filter all around. But works great for 20's and under, I even used it for a filter rated for 3 gallons for my Betta lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 
Nibblez

I think i saw that before but i didnt want to do that because i feel that i wouldnt quite like the look of the plastic. Bit of a stretch but i was thinking that it might cause the betta's fins to tear if they decide to swim up to it. Plus the bio sponge means more area for bateria to help cycle, although i know, it wont make much of a difference in a planted tank.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

True, true! I guess I've been lucky because my Betta's have never even bothered to go near it because there is still a little bit of flow to the sides which they don't like so they just stay at the mid to front of the tank.

I also barely notice the bottle but I'm not exactly looking for it either haha, I'm too preoccupied with my Betta.

I've also used Duct Tap on smaller filters to reduce the surface flow, I just fold over a piece but leave some of the sticky out to tape it right above the outflow if you can and it directs the current down a little more. Worked well for feedings and such. I had tried the sponge but I could never get it to stay so that's why I used the water bottle.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Thats basically what I do with my filters - stick aquaclear foam into the outflow area.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #6 
bannlow2471

@ Nibblez ... SUCH a pretty tank!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote