Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Terracotta

If I'm adding a terracotta plate to a tank, is there anything I need to do to prep it before putting it in? I'm just wanting to make sure it won't leach anything into the water and hurt my fish.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
WaffleSire

Well, as long as you haven't used it, i'm sure boiling it would be more than enough. Is there any sort of gloss or coating on it that might come off? You can soak it in a seperate container and see if anything leaks.

People use terra cotta all the time, as decor. Should be perfectly fine.
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I've heard that you are supposed to plug up the holes on the bottom if it has it so that your Betta doesn't try to squeeze through and get his fins ripped up.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #4 
Corsica

I rinsed mine and let them soak for about 2 days or more. Yes, make sure holes are either plugged up or that you saw the bottom off so the betta can get in and out without harm or getting stuck in a small hole.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

I boiled mine for 20 minutes and let them dry for a day or two and they were fine. I don't plug the holes. My bettas have no trouble with the holes. If they have short fins, they go through. Long fins, then they don't. Here's two pics of my 20gL. This tank is a paradise for my fish, especially my kuhli loaches! lol I have 4 female bettas in there, but I have terra cotta pots in all of my 4 tanks.

[Apologies for the sorry state of my tank. lol I need to do a water change and I NEED my plants to start growing back. It used to be plant haven in here!]

Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

What is the purpose of boiling, setting for a day or two, or drying for a day or two? Is there toxic chemicals in the terracotta that can leach into the water and that prevents it? Or is it for another reason?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #7 
isochronism

Smooth and sharp/rough edges.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes boiling is to remove toxins and make it safe for the aquarium, the same is done if you are putting rocks into the aquarium or other things you might find outside.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #9 
isochronism

Smooth "any" sharp or rough edges with fine sandpaper. :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #10 
cheylillymama

I have a couple terra cotta pots in my 10gal tank with my beta and my cories. I just rinsed them in hot water and let them dry over night then put them in. Just for my peace of mind I guess. They were brand new and unglazed. my best friend makes them. :)
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote