Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #1 
heavenlolwut

1st Planted 10 gallon!

Hey there!
I just finished setting up my first ever planted 10gallon tank. I have Delta and what I think is a Super delta floating before I introduce them into the tank (They look super excited though)

Here it is!

I have the following in there:
Argentine Sword x2
Large Anubias x1
Medium argentine sword x2
Small argentine sword x1
Compacta sword x1
Small anubias x1
Micro grass x1
Mondo grass x1
Micro sword x1
Mystery Tree thing (They're selling them at petco, they have some kind of plant tied to them but I don't really know what they are Super excited about it as well got it for like 2-6$ and when I went to another petco they were like 15$)
Wysteria x3
Hornwort
Rotala indaca x2
heavenlolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Nice! I also have a newly set up 10 gallon sorority with live plants but yours looks much better. Mine has horrid blue/green gravel, lol.

I also just put in some hornwort and rotala indica but my hornwort is floating to provide lots of cover and I have two Anubias. I am quite the plant noob but I heard that swords will get way too big for a ten gallon so I didn't get any :( I do have water sprite which I love, some planted and some floating, java moss tied around a mask decoration which I also used to attach a java fern to it, Hygrophilia Corymbosa which is a lower lying fast growing plant and a crypt petchii which stay small.

I'd love to see how quickly you plants fill in :) I'm always looking for new ideas as well since I'm a total noob :p it seems like your fish are in great hands!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #3 
heavenlolwut

Hornwort CAN float?! *Goes to retrive the rest of it.*
I thought it could but I wasn't sure ;-;

Also Do you have a thread showing yours?
And I got so much because I was going to do a Naturally planted tank but I got a little overwhelmed so I went with the eco-complete gravel. :] But that's why I have so many plants. ;-;
I also don't mind if the swords get too big I have another 10gallon I'm going to eventually plant too
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, hornwort is a floating plant and so is that water sprite. I stuck that in a little jar with snails and gave it to a friend. He set it next to a scentsy warmer for heat in the corner of his room with super dim light from a window (it's covered with a sheet) and its growing like crazy! I have one tall one that I planted.

I do have a picture of my tank in the planted tank show and tell thread, the "show us your bettas home" sticky and my journal in the journals section, lol.

The planted tank show and tell has tons of planted tanks in it :)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

very nice start! keep up the good work :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 
Nothingness

Hornswort is a great floating plant but will need to be trimmed back on a weekly basis. It wil just keep growing and growing if left unattended. Great start on a NPT looks well stocked. I would also suggest taking the betta log out as it seems to block out lots of light.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #7 
heavenlolwut

Thank you guys so much!
@Nothingness: That's a good point I didn't think of. Do you have any suggestions for something like one? The guy on that side of the tank LOVES it and I'm not sure what could make a good replacement for it.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 
Nothingness

maybe suction it to the side of the tank. or you could get some PVC pipe at maybe a 1-1.5 inch diameter and suction that to the tank. will do the same thing as the log but won't be such shadow caster and you could put one on both sides and also attach some moss to it then you wouldn't be wasting any light and it would look really nice as well
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

I've also seen members use plastic craft mesh like that by rolling it up and attaching it to the side of the tank. It has holes in it so it would not block as much light. You can also attach java moss to craft mesh. There are a lot of fun things you can do with java moss, actually.