some sort of parasite?

HOUSING:
-What size is your tank?
5 gallons.

- What temperature is your tank?
Usually around 80*

- Does your tank have a filter?
Yep!

- Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.

- Is your tank heated?
Yep!

- What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
One mystery snail and about 13 or so adult MTS.

FOOD
- What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
I rotate between NLS Thera + and Omega One; I also feed 1 to 2 FD bloodworms once or twice a week, usually on Mondays and/or Saturdays.

- How often do you feed your betta fish?
Twice a day. Usually about 5 pellets.

MAINTENANCE
- How often do you perform a water change & what percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
Around 35% every 2 weeks. And I should probably add that this is a NPT.

- What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Prime & Seachem Flourish

WATER PARAMETERS:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: between 5 and 10ppm.
pH: 7.6
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

SYMPTOMS & TREATMENT
- How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

Suddenly bloated; weird white color from beneath a few of his scales; and he's missing a scale on the top of his head.

- How has your betta fish's behavior changed & when did you start noticing the symptoms?

He's been a little lethargic for the past two days, but he would perk up when I cam near the tank & was still interested in food so I didn't really pay it much attention. Then literally 15 minutes ago I noticed he was darting like a maniac around his tank. Most notably though, I noticed he was rubbing up against his thermometer and a few of the plants. He's been breathing rather heavily since then and is now beyond skittish. The snail is freaking him out and just a moment ago he seemed scared to even come to the surface to get air? He was super hesitant about it; like he just gulped and darted behind a plant. He's even scared of *me* and that's wayyyyyy strange.

- Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
It's 1am and all I have is warm water, AQ salt and stress coat, so that's what I'm using right now. Since that picture, been cupped and is floating in a solution of AQ salt and Stress Coat.

- Does your fish have any history of being ill?
He had velvet a little over a year ago due to me keeping him improperly (1 gallon unheated bowl; one 100% water change ever week or so.) He also had a really bad case of fin rot because of that same reason back then and it's never completely healed back up. This is mostly because he would always find a way to tear it on something before I took *all* the decorations out of his tank...which happened like two weeks ago.

- How old is your fish (approximately)?
Uhhh, let's see....I'll have owned him for two years old in September so he's probably around that age.

Since I started filling this out & cupped him, he's calmed allllll the way down. He's not breathing heavily anymore and isn't anywhere near as skittish as he was. He's also no longer bloated..?

I have no idea what's going on, but I'd like to figure it out. I originally suspected Ich, but from all the descriptions I've read, it says that it looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt and...that's...not really what I'm seeing. It looks like the edges of his scales have been outlined in white? They're not raised or anything...just...white around the edges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm also studying for one of my finals tomorrow but I'll try to respond in a timely manner. Thanks in advance! (:
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 
colorxmexravyne

So whatever it is, it's gotten a little worse.

There's more of the white outlining on more of his scales; he's slighty bloated but not nearly as much as he was last night.

He still interested in food. I didn't feed him this morning but I pretended like I was going to and he was still responsive. His poop hasn't changed colors at all. So now I'm wondering if this really is a parasite? Or maybe it's a fungal infection...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #3 
Flapmon

I'd suggest ick, but he's still interested in his food.
I guess try doing the aquarium salt trick, aquarisol is also suggested if it is ick.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #4 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
I'd suggest ick, but he's still interested in his food.
I guess try doing the aquarium salt trick, aquarisol is also suggested if it is ick.
That's what I originally thought, but I keep reading that ich looks like small granules of salt/sugar and these don't. They're fine, white lines that border his scales. So I was kind of confused. :/
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #5 
Flapmon

It could be parasitic? Wow. I have no idea. Perhaps he's marbling, gaining more blue scales on his body?

Edit: Looking through some photos of betta's with ich on google? They all look like they're at different stages but when I go back to your photo the white bits almost look .. Long, oval. Hopefully someone else suggests something, I'd say if he's happy? Eating? Treat him for ich just in case. Salt is always good for everything anyway.

Last edited by Flapmon; 05-02-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #6 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapmon View Post
It could be parasitic? Wow. I have no idea. Perhaps he's marbling, gaining more blue scales on his body?

Edit: Looking through some photos of betta's with ich on google? They all look like they're at different stages but when I go back to your photo the white bits almost look .. Long, oval. Hopefully someone else suggests something, I'd say if he's happy? Eating? Treat him for ich just in case. Salt is always good for everything anyway.
Exactly! Those pictures are what I was comparing it too and I agree they just don't really look the same. Right now I'm just doing AQ salt but if it gets any worse, I'll look into buying some sort of medication. He's still seemingly happy save for him being itchy, but otherwise he's normal. Hopefully I can figure out what's up! Thanks for your help! (:

Last edited by colorxmexravyne; 05-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #7 
colorxmexravyne

Took a study break (at almost 4 in the morning! i HATE finals week!!) to check on him...only to find out that the snail had climbed on the cup and completely flipped it over. -______-

But anyway, I'm not sure if I startled him or what, but for the second time *ever* since I've owned him, he's displaying stress stripes. His body is the same color as his fins now, which isn't normal because it's usually significantly darker.

He's still slightly bloated which he shouldn't be at all considering I didn't feed him today. The strange white outlines/marks are still there. Nothing's changed about them.

I'll be researching medicines to buy just in case between my exams today. But for now, I'm gonna take a quick 30 minute power nap so that I can regain a little bit of energy and finish studying.

Again, any help/insight/input is greatly appreciated!