Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #1 
BettaVibe

Unhappy pacing, bored betta. need ideas!

My betta, Vibe, seems so bored! My betta is in a long rectangular, nice size 2.5 gallon by himself. He has a cave to hide in, live plant, and have since added some clean pvc for him to hide in and explore as well. ( pics in my album to see him) I have ran out of ideas to keep him from being bored/pacing. Everytime I do a water change I move the objects around to hopefully keep him curious, but tends to wear off quickly. Any ideas for betta safe toys or entertainment??
BettaVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 
ryancalif

How do you know he is bored?
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 
JustinieBeanie

You could teach him tricks or get him a snail friend.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Can you post video of him in his tank? I am interested to see how he is behaving.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #5 
Lena N

Test his water. My Betta was depressed today, not playful at all. I checked the water and nitrite were high.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #6 
BettaVibe

When I can catch him in the act, ill post a video of him. Id like to get him some kind of small friend:)
BettaVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 
HeroicPoison

One of my bettas (Thor who is a beast) loves to chase and poke around a ping pong ball... My other bettas have shown no interest. I think its the size, im on the hunt for smaller plastic (tank safe) balls to try out. Bettas do like to play :)
Another one of my bettas chases around the snails in his tank it keeps him busy for hours zooming from one to the other.
Another thing you can do is purchase craft mesh and create tunnels, hiding places, beds ect... its very easy! Craft mesh, Fishing line, and suction cups! I do have java moss growing on mine to ensure safety and comfort :)
These are just a few ideas... try changing things up (moving plants and caves around) or adding different items (removing old) so he has something new to explore. When you do a water change add something old with something new... just to keep him busy.

If you want more ideas, or want to brainstorm some with me, send me a PM. Im always looking/creating new things for my tanks
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

The have tiny fish bobbers at walmart
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #9 
HeroicPoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
The have tiny fish bobbers at walmart
:O great idea! I will have to pick some up and give them a try, My boys seem curious about the ball in their tank... but fear going near it since its so big! THANKS :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #10 
megan6o6

I felt the same way! He should have something to do besides swim aimlessly! So i had some glow sticks (the wrist band kind) and i would put it on the front of the glass of his tank and he would chase at it. and then i figured out that if i get the tip wet and then put a blood worm on it and hold it above water, he will jump to eat the treat! haha so i do that.
and i put the tip in the water and move it around and he chases it and tries to bite it hahaahah its super cute. So just move it in circles and he follows it around for a good ten minutes, good workout.

my advice would be to find something he likes and make him chase it around! they love it.
megan6o6 is offline   Reply With Quote