Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #1 
alwaysaBettaLover

Question Breeding question

So I got two girls and was planning on putting them in with Sparkey. I was trying to introduce them to the tAnk, but now they are showing signs of wanting to breed, and I have the supplies so I decided I would. The problem is, if I let both of them in to the tank-sparkey already has a bubble undergoing and the girls have ventricle stripes- so would both females have fish babies, or will only one?
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Did you research breeding? Did you quarantine the new girls? Did you condition them?

I personally do not have two females in the same tank with the male when attempting to spawn. I may show the female to the other, if the other is being reluctant to breed. However, I do feel you would do bst reading the breeding stickies under Breeding Betta Fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #3 
alwaysaBettaLover

Ok ! I haven't quarantine them yet, but I will when I get home. I have been reacearchong breeding for months, but that was when I had been simple considering it, but since it has come up more seriously, I decides to do more research. I don't exactly need to know how to breed, just tips, and such.also, this is a silly question, but how how you condition and quarantine them???
Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Quarantine: everyone has their own tank (no divided tanks) for two weeks. For conditioning, after quarantine is done, is done for 2 weeks or more. This means good foods (live frozen and pellets, avoid freeze dried), clean warm water, exercise (mirror), and isolation from the sight of all fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #5 
Jayloo

You do realize housing a male and 2 females is not a good idea, right? The male would surely kill them both if housed like that...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
alwaysaBettaLover

Ok so I decided not to put both females in Tue tank,obviously its a bad idea, so I will put them in separate tanks, after quarenting them. Haha I guess I didn't really think that whole thing through..
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

O.o if you don't know how to condition and you don't know how to properly introduce a pair then I would consider researching proper breeding for a few more months and start with a nice pair as well.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

If you do decide to breed, you will need supplies not only for the parents but also for the fry.

Live food cultures are a necessary part of rearing betta fry, and unless you purchase a mature culture that is ready to harvest, you are going to have to give it some time to establish itself.

Have you got any baby brine shrimp and had any practice with hatching out a small test batch? Some breeders do not use BBS, but the majority do and it is best I have found to do an experimental run before the real thing to fine-tune your hatching skills.

Also, you will need a tank in the 20-30 gallon range as a grow-out for your fry and then jars or other small containers to separate any males out into.

Getting your bettas to spawn is step one. You then have the task of caring for the fry for the next few months, which is probably the hardest part.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #9 
alwaysaBettaLover

Hmph. I guess I should do a bit more research...
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, breeding bettas is not something you can really do on a whim. The fry do require a lot of care, and you need to know what you are doing when conditioning and introducing your pair because a lot of things can go wrong.

I would suggest having a good look here and on other sites, and maybe take down some notes of your own and make some proper plans before attempting to spawn. That way you aren't going in blind and you are giving any fry the best possible chance at life.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote