Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #1 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

Colored gravel...your favorite brand?

When it comes to substrate, I generally prefer "natural" gravel. However, I have been thinking about switching things up for my next betta, and was looking into colored gravel.

My last experience with the stuff was some PETCO brand white gravel which began to peel and chip within a few weeks. Is peeling and/or dye coming off in the water inevitable for all colored gravel?

Anyone have any favorite brands they use? Or is there a specific treating method (how the gravel is dyed) that is better than others?

Any feedback would be great.

And to show my gratitude, here is a cartoon betta I found on Google

EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I actually use Wal-Mart brand, some have chipped but I just take them out. I use black gravel though, I'm sure there's differences in dyes. I've never really had a problem with it fading or leeching or anything though, unless I'm too naive to notice lol

But otherwise I have no other experience with colored gravel. Although being the art major I am, I predict that blue dye will fade faster than the other colors with red/pink coming up next. It's the nature of the dyes and pigments, same thing happens with paints/clothing dyes and other stuff of the like.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #3 
Minnieservis

I really like the petco brand gravel. But I've only used that, petsmart and walmart brands. I just like how smooth the gravel is, and there's tons of color choices :)
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #4 
Polkadot

I use a brand called Avico,the 3-5mm pebbles.The colours stay nice & bright and the gravel is smooth.Lots of great colours too.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote