Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #1 
tidbit

Question decor???

Hey everyone!This is my first post and I am wondering what I should do for my betta's (Tidbit) tank.

It is a rather small tank, I'll try to down load some pics later.

Any ways my tank seems sooooooo boring compared to the other tanks on this website, ><

I'm thinking girly (because I'm a girl) I already have: pink rocks,an orange plant, a purple plant and some weird fake fish decoration (which ill most likely get rid of) Tidbit is a blue and black lively boy Betta.

Any ideas? please post :) thanks
tidbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 
Laki

How big is the tank?

You can decorate it any way you want as long as the plants are not plastic (they will shred the fins) and keeping in mind that the fish needs to have maximum space to swim.

In a 1g tank you don't want to add more than a bare thin layer of gravel and maybe one plant or cave. The larger the tank, the more possibilities.

Of course, live plants are better and you can add whatever you like (see my avatar, that's 2.5g)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I agree, live plants are awesome. They do wonders for water quality, they look good, and if you ever get more tanks, you can transfer plants as they grow so you won't need to buy all new silk plants for every tank.

There are a lot of different decorations to buy. I actually just got a little castle decoration for one of my tanks because it was cute and matched the colors, lol. With caves, just make sure there aren't any sharp edges and that you can fit your thumb through any of the holes. If you can't, then your betta could possibly get stuck in the holes.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #4 
tidbit

OK i have plastic plants so i'll get some live plants
thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #5 
Laki

No prob :)
You can get them pretty easily via online classifieds (I got most of mine off reddit) and go in to ask stores for excess "weed" plants like salvinia, frogbit, hornwort clippings or if you're in the states, some members here ship clippings.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #6 
tidbit

oh cool Reddit i didn't know you could buy stuff off there 0-0 nice thanks for the advice everyone :)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

The only thing with live plants is that you'll need proper lighting and possibly fertilizers (I use Seachem flourish - the bottle was about $10).

I highly suggest researching each plant you are looking at individually. Look for beginner plants that will not grow too tall for your tank size and that will do well in the lighting that you have. I know that hornwort is an easy fast growing floater, as well as watersprite and java moss. Anubias and java fern are some easy stem plants and should fit in smaller tanks.

If you do decide on live plants, I'd make a new thread in the planted tanks section :) it requires a bit of research but planted tanks are rewarding and they keep the water clean and healthier for your fish :) they may even allow you to cut down a little on water changes!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #8 
Laki

Well there was a subreddit called r/Newfoundland and someone just posted there rather than kijiji. Just so happened my sister saw it and texted me to get in touch. This girl had some plant clippings she was going to throw out. I plnted them all through my tank, within hours of doing so they established themselves and now they grow a couple cm's a day. If you were in Canada I would give you some! lol And I even stopped using fertilizers bc of my algae problem!!

I second the suggestion to go to planted tank section of the forum.