Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
Sweetstrwbrry

Did my heater burn my betta?

I keep betta in a 1 gallon bowl while I'm trying to get the pH down in the 10 gallon so he can go in there. I changed the water 100% every other day. Last night he was fine. This morning I noticed the back end of his body was discolored! His body is navy blue but is now a discolored brown in that spot. It is really strange looking. He has pristine water conditions and the temp is always at 80 degrees. The heater goes underneath the rocks but I am wondering if it heated the rocks and he was laying on them. What can I do to heal this burn??? Poor guy :(
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

How high is your Ph that you're attempting to adjust it? It is most often better to leave the Ph alone rather trying to adjust it. As for the "burn", its hard to say without seeing it. Typically if you just keep the water pristine they will heal just fine, but obviously you'll want to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
Sweetstrwbrry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
How high is your Ph that you're attempting to adjust it? It is most often better to leave the Ph alone rather trying to adjust it. As for the "burn", its hard to say without seeing it. Typically if you just keep the water pristine they will heal just fine, but obviously you'll want to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.
My ph is 8.2 in the 10 gallon because I've been using city water. The water I've been buying in the refillable jugs is 7.0. I'm gradually switching to that water. Te bettas fins were having a hard time with that water and also I lost two other bettas because of it. My cory catfish seem to be okay with that ph or have at least adjusted. I am just being on the safe side. I want his fins to be as beautiful as they can be!

I'm worried about the burn. Will his blue coloring return? He seems to be acting the same. I can't think of what else would pop out of nowhere like this overnight :/
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #4 
Deanna01

I had a very similar situation with a betta I just got from PetCo (picture here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=166898). I actually think it's a fish disease.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Since the water temp is 80F, I don't think the heater burned him. Our own bodies are 98.6F, which is higher than the water temp. Yet, you wouldn't burn him by touching him.

Can you post a picture of the brown spot on him? Also, does it look like a "saddle" that goes sort of from one side, over his back, to the other side?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #6 
Sweetstrwbrry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Since the water temp is 80F, I don't think the heater burned him. Our own bodies are 98.6F, which is higher than the water temp. Yet, you wouldn't burn him by touching him.

Can you post a picture of the brown spot on him? Also, does it look like a "saddle" that goes sort of from one side, over his back, to the other side?
OMG got home from work tonight and it looks worse. Fluffy white even. Please help! Here is a pic. He must have had it at the petstore I don't. Understand how he could have gotten this!
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 
Sweetstrwbrry

And the other side.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

It looks like either Columnaris (gram negative bacterial infection) or Saprolegnia (fungal infection).

I would lower the water temp to about 76F. (Bacteria grows faster in warmer water.)

I recommend using API Triple Sulfa.

If you can't get that, you can try API Furan 2 or Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear. (All three contain the same antibiotics.)

If you have Kanaplex on hand, that would be good too. (You can also use Kanaplex with Furan 2 (Bifuran/Fungus Clear).

Good website:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 
Sweetstrwbrry

This may sound insensitive but I really don't want to spend $15 on a medication that I've only had this betta for a week. If Petco would take care of their fish, this wouldn't happen! I'm sick of this... This is the 3rd betta I've had problems with and all within a few weeks of getting it. It has literally been A WEEK! Don't they have medications on hand they can let me have? Every fish I have ever bought medication for a fish in the past, 100% of the time that fish has died. UGH!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #10 
Deanna01

It looks exactly like what my betta from Petco had. :( I'm sorry. I am just hoping I don't transfer it to my other fish. Once my guy's spot looked like that, he died the same day. I would take pictures to the pet store now, tell them it's a very contagious disease, and see what they might do for you.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote