Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #11 
Sweetstrwbrry

Thank God I have him in his own bowl. If my beautiful tankful of cories got this I would be super upset! I had him in there for one day a week ago and took him out and put him in the bowl. And that was before him showing any signs (this started yesterday). All cories are healthy. I suppose I will call them and ask. It's crazy because he looked perfectly healthy at the pet store and his water was clean. I change the water 100% every other day. No way this happened on my end!
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #12 
Deanna01

Yeah. I would worry about your cories anyway, because he probably had the disease and it just hadn't manifested much yet. :( If it's columnaris, it's extremely contagious. You and I both need to find out if there is some prophylactic treatment for our other tanks--I posted a thread asking about it: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...mnaris-168170/
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #13 
Sweetstrwbrry

Well I called petco. They said they could refund the fish but would not offer medicine to treat it. Typical. So now I have to decide if I should buy the medicine and try or what. If the fish dies do you think I could return the meds? This is unbelievably ridiculous.

I had the betta in the 10 gallon for less than 24 hours and have been doing a partial water change (10%) every other day (bc of trying to switch water sources to get the pH down) Would that help clear out anything? So long as he didn't show the signs, was he not contagious?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #14 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstrwbrry View Post
This may sound insensitive but I really don't want to spend $15 on a medication that I've only had this betta for a week. If Petco would take care of their fish, this wouldn't happen! I'm sick of this... This is the 3rd betta I've had problems with and all within a few weeks of getting it. It has literally been A WEEK! Don't they have medications on hand they can let me have? Every fish I have ever bought medication for a fish in the past, 100% of the time that fish has died. UGH!
Did you clean/ disinfect your tank and air dry under the sun for a day or two in between betas? If not, this explains serial sickness with your previous bettas. the next betta will pick up the columnar is or ick due to stress in a new tank environment caused by the opportunistic bacteria existing in your tank right now.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #15 
Sweetstrwbrry

My other fish didn't have this. One died suddenly and the other had fin rot due to poor water changes (I've really stepped it up now) but none of them exhibited this fungus growth.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #16 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstrwbrry View Post
Well I called petco. They said they could refund the fish but would not offer medicine to treat it. Typical. So now I have to decide if I should buy the medicine and try or what. If the fish dies do you think I could return the meds? This is unbelievably ridiculous.

I had the betta in the 10 gallon for less than 24 hours and have been doing a partial water change (10%) every other day (bc of trying to switch water sources to get the pH down) Would that help clear out anything? So long as he didn't show the signs, was he not contagious?
As a suggestion, most betta do get sick at least once in its life, having some meds handy would be good. It does not sound like you are treating them as disposable pets like disposable plates cos you sounded stress with the dilemma on getting meds.

At least get some AQ salt and Epsom salt which treats a number of diseases as initial conservative approach. It will be fewer than $5 for AQ salt as starters. As for the patch your betta has, if you do not want to treat it, return to Petco. They probably would let it waste away on the shelf. See if member Moonshadow would come to its rescue. If so the little guy is in luck.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #17 
Sweetstrwbrry

I am stressed because I just want a betta that will live. Every fish I've ever had that has gotten sick has always died. It's so frustrating!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #18 
Deanna01

I think your best bet to get a healthy betta is to buy from a little fish store instead of a PetCo or Petsmart, etc. Also, when you look at the bettas, really look for one that appears healthy and active--not just one you love the colors of or that you feel sorry for.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

How he is acting otherwise ? I was wondering , hoping if it can be slime coat? Well how i understand that slime coat can be from the using Stress coat, injuries, aqauarium salt. If it columnaris it will progress very fast and fish will get lethargic and refuse to eat. And while you don't have medications i would start him on 3 tsp of the aquarium salt. Pre mix it and make sure it dissolved and do 2-50% water change as soon as you can about 3 hrs apart and then continue daily 100% water changes. But water temperature is very important it get really warse fast with warmer temperature. So lower it slowly though. Realyl slowly may be 1-2* every hour. I even saw that people recommending 72*.
Well it just my hope that it can be slime coat but it probably columnaris.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 
Sweetstrwbrry

He has been acting the same. I went and got him Kordon rid-fungus... Do you think that will work? Petco said I could return it if it doesn't work. If its columnaris wouldn't the growth be by his eyes, nose, and mouth? I'm taking a gamble that it is a fungal infection. I don't think the Kordon treats columnaris.