Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #1 
Kumo

Quiet 5 gallon filter?

So I need to know of a QUIET (preferably silent, but very quiet I can work with too) 5 gallon filter. I have a 2.5 tank with a tetra whisper filter and I honestly hate the thing because of how little it filter and it's stupidly loud for how small it is (the filter is supposedly only for tanks 1-3 gallons big).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/320994089597?lpid=82 <-that's what I have now, really dissatisfied with it
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #2 
JessiesGill

It depends on what sound is bothersome to you. If you don't mind the sound of the water bubbling, you can get a small sponge filter with a quiet air pump. Something like

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that air pump on the carpeted floor below the tank. It hums very quietly, as long as it isn't touching anything. The sponge filter inside the tank does create a bubbling sound. Some people may find that bothersome; others may find it relaxing.
JessiesGill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

Azoo palm mini HOB from foster and smith for $7. Best filter you can get for a small tank. And it's extremely quiet.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #4 
bre23

If you want to use a sponge filter and air pump and don't like the sound of bubbles, you could get a flow adjuster. It basically cuts down the speed of the flow and makes the water noise softer and quieter.
bre23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #5 
givemethatfish

I just got this filter because I needed one in a pinch, and it was on clearance at Petco for $4. It's in a 6 gallon section of a divided 20 gallon tank. It is completely silent. I did have to throw a sponge over the filter output, but since it's fully submersible you don't hear any noise from it. I did replace the rubbish media cartridges with just some sponge and filter floss, and the compartment isn't big, but it's enough for one fish in a 5 gallon tank for sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-10-Gall...nternal+filter
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #6 
1RainbowBetta

I have one of those Aqueon AT10 quietflow internal filters in a 5 gallon tank and as said above it is VERY quiet. I also rubber banded a piece of foam over the output because it was too strong for my betta.

I have an Azoo palm filter in another 5 gallon tank. It's not as quiet as the Aqueon and I was having a little trouble with noise from it but it seems to be doing okay now. You may need to fiddle with the cover a little to keep it from vibrating, and I think it also helps to keep the water level close enough to the output to cut down on loud water trickling noise.
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote