Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #11 
Freyja
Banned

I'm also concerned about breathing room for the betta. The plants are on a base that allows for water to flow up to where they are but does the betta have access as well?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #12 
Mashiro

Yes, it does appear from the two photos, especially the second, that the betta has plenty of air to breathe, for a fish.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #13 
tekkguy

Hmm, they say it's organic, but that would depend heavily on the fish food and water conditioner used. Wonder what they include with it? Most water conditioners say not to use with food fish. I would take that to mean that you shouldn't water food PLANTS with it either.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #14 
Mashiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Hmm, they say it's organic, but that would depend heavily on the fish food and water conditioner used. Wonder what they include with it? Most water conditioners say not to use with food fish. I would take that to mean that you shouldn't water food PLANTS with it either.
I was wondering the exact same thing, tekkguy.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #15 
Mistygrayc

I'm so happy I found this thread! I will be a beginner betta guardian with this tank. I've been waiting since December to get it since I ordered it with their Kickstarter.

http://store.backtotheroots.com/product_p/aquaponics.htm

Freyja - If you look at the pictures on the website, you will see that the amount of air that is in the tank is based on how much water is in there. I will not be filling mine up to the top. I'll also probably have a water heater cord coming out of my feeding location to vent more air into the tank.

http://theaquaponicsource.com/freque...ules-of-thumb/

It looks like there are Hydroponic water conditioners that should be used with the food plants.

The website says that the AquaFarm will include "Fish food and water conditioners to get started right away"

I'm thinking about adding a small water plant of some sort to reduce the betta's stress a bit... also maybe a marimo moss ball, a snail or some ghost shrimp into my tank. What do you think? Will it all fit?
Mistygrayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #16 
Laki

how big is the tank thing? It looks fine with the herbs and stuff on top but not an ideal set-up for a betta. They like to live among plants, not underneath.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #17 
Mistygrayc

That's why I want to get a small plant for inside the aquarium as well. I'm not a fan of plastic in general.

I'm thinking maybe a Anubias Barteri.

The tank is roughly 10" wide, by 11" high, by 6" deep. The tank itself holds 3 gallons of water.
Mistygrayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #18 
Laki

3 gallons is good :) Yea, you can make that betta friendly with a driftwood and some plants... But I think you'll need to be careful since the herbs on top will be competing for the nutrients in the water and as LBF already mentioned, one single betta might not produce enough Nit/Amm by itself.. Maybe get an apple snail or nerite too.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #19 
Mashiro

Update!

Finally got my Aquafarm in and all set up! Here it is and it's growing plants just great! My betta was a little stressed the first few days, but he's adjusted wonderfully now. :)

I have wheat grass, basil, and kaleidoscope lettuce growing in the netty pots.

Claude is resting at the bottom, being a bum! :P

Old 07-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #20 
shushcat

How awesome that would be if it was bigger and wider! As it is, it still seems cool! How easy is it to heat, and what are water changes like?
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquafarm, aquaponics