Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #21 
Laki

3 gallons is what I keep Osha in- it's plenty big for one betta. Does Claude rest like that a lot? If he seems to be pouting about, maybe add some extra things for him, like a cave or "fluffy" plants like a piece of hornwort. To me, personally, the tank looks bare .. And is it even heated? But I looooove the plant growing idea!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #22 
Mashiro

It is heated, yes. I'm also looking for more things to add to his tank to stave off the boredom.

As for water changes, you don't do them! The plants on top filter out the fish waste from the water and clean water drips back down from the root tray into the tank, creating a self-cleaning system. I'm very happy with my Aquafarm!
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #23 
Laki

Surely, you need to do water changes. There must be some poop solids reaching the bottom of the tank? It's healthy to reduce stagnant water by applying a little water change here and there. I don't believe that that amount of plant will mean no water changes. I keep more plants than that in my tanks and they require weekly refreshments!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Laki's right, even though the idea behind it is really good, there are other non-dissolvable and dissolved organic compounds other than fish waste in that water that needs to be removed with water changes. I understand the concept and I really do think it's a great idea, but there needs to be some sort of water change at least once a month at the least. Plants don't soak up the organic compounds and there's no filter to filter at least half of them out and with the water not moving as it would in a river/stream/body of water, it will become polluted and then end up with a dead fishie

So is there any way that you could at least siphon out some like every 2-3 weeks or so? I just don't see how this would be healthy for a fish to sit in their own waste and other stuff forever, even if the water is "clean". Plants don't and can't filter out everything unfortunately.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #25 
Mashiro

The company sells a product called Tidy Tank that's marketed to reduce 'sludge buildup' in the tank. I'm guessing that is supposed to break down the organics that the plants can't?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm not sure, I'd have to see the product. But even still, non-dissolved organic compounds really don't break down like the dissolved ones do. I'm not exactly sure of what those two things entail preciesly but I know that is half of the reason that we need to do water changes, that and replenishing the minerals the fish needs to live. Now I assume then that when you water the plants, that's what's being filtered through and then goes into the tank, the plant is going to take up most of the minerals and nutrients which then depletes your fish from using them or getting the most of them, you see?

So I think this can still work but you should definitely at least try to do a monthly water change at the least for him. Can you take the lid off and test the water to see what it's at?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #27 
Mashiro

I see now and yes, the lid is removable and I have the API Master Test Kit.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay good ^_^ I just want to see the usual; pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #29 
Mashiro

Okay.

Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 3.0

This doesn't look good, does it?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's actually not as bad as I was thinking! At least the ammonia is 0, I expected that to be at least buffered by the plants for sure. Nitrites are high definitely, I think it's in the process of just establishing itself and Nitrates are really high!

Can you do at least a 50% water change? That will help to start. What I think should happen is, can you do live plants in the water as well? This will help to buffer at least from Ammonia and Nitrites, nitrates are normally eaten a little by plants and then mostly taken out by water change. But the toxic stuff will at least be buffered by plants. You could so like an Anubias and then some water wisteria or something fast growing to soak up the ammonia/nitrites and that should help!

I really do think this can work, just needs to the right things for it to happen ^_^ I definitely think a water change at least once a month is necessary since there's no filter to get the non-dissolved organic compounds out along with fish waste and stuff like that. But right now since it's in the process of establishing some BB on the walls and gravel and such, I think you need to test daily and do a small water change while it get's established. Just like you have to do with every tank and then once it's established, the once a month cleaning should be fine

But I think some low light, slow growing plants; Java Fern and Anubias, will definitely kick it off in the right direction ^_^ It will help improve the water quality and your little one will love to play/rest in them

Tags
aquafarm, aquaponics