Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #31 
Micho

Just a question to any owners of this tank, I know there's an airline in the tank which purpose is to blow air out so water gets pushed up and that's how the plants ontop get the water and it gets recycled back down.

Does it disturb the substrate?

I was thinking of doing a NPT with this tank but if the airline knocks substrate around I so t think my plan will work.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #32 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Just a question to any owners of this tank, I know there's an airline in the tank which purpose is to blow air out so water gets pushed up and that's how the plants ontop get the water and it gets recycled back down.

Does it disturb the substrate?

I was thinking of doing a NPT with this tank but if the airline knocks substrate around I so t think my plan will work.
If there is, perhaps an airline tube can be attatched so that it is directed towards the upper parts of the tank so that it doesn't disturb the substrate? Of course, I'm not an owner but that's just my speculation about it. I think it would make for a good NPT after everything is established!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #33 
Avalonian

I have an aqua farm too and it's been a very challenging fish tank.

A lot of this might have to do with the fact that I'm 100% new to fish care so when I set up the aqua farm I didn't let the tank cycle for 24 hours or a week or however long it's supposed to be before putting the fish in.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from all the reading I've now done I think the best strategy for maintaining this 3 gallon tank is to do a 50% water change twice a week. The only problem is I've had the tank for a week and it is insanely dirty. There is a layer of algae or something white and slimey all over everything.

The tank has three little snails and a bottom feeder fish that doesn't affect the fish count of the tank and aside from the snails who hardly move everyone in the tank looks unhappy!

I think the excessive slime is due to too much food not being eaten which I am now going to remedy. That said I don't know what to do with the currently dirt tank. I want to a 50% water change and a thorough rinse of the rocks and fake plants (I have a rock "cave" with silk plants on either side).

The problem is I had to do a 100% water change earlier last week because my beta had a fungus and the experience nearly killed him. I'm not sure if what stressed him out was the time he spent in a small bowl while I cleaned the tank and replenished it with new, treated water, or if it was the already-existing fungus...or something else entirely, but I'm worried if I put the fish in a temporary container while doing a 50% water change and cleaning the tank, it will stress him out all over again.

To be honest this whole thing has been really frustrating. I have never owned fish before and I didn't realise what I was getting myself into when I bought the aquafarm. Dumb I know. I just don't know what to do at this point to make sure my beta is happy and the tank is clean without accidentally killing the poor thing or stressing him out again.

I might get ich myself I'm so stressed!!
Avalonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #34 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalonian View Post
I have an aqua farm too and it's been a very challenging fish tank.

A lot of this might have to do with the fact that I'm 100% new to fish care so when I set up the aqua farm I didn't let the tank cycle for 24 hours or a week or however long it's supposed to be before putting the fish in.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but from all the reading I've now done I think the best strategy for maintaining this 3 gallon tank is to do a 50% water change twice a week. The only problem is I've had the tank for a week and it is insanely dirty. There is a layer of algae or something white and slimey all over everything.

The tank has three little snails and a bottom feeder fish that doesn't affect the fish count of the tank and aside from the snails who hardly move everyone in the tank looks unhappy!

I think the excessive slime is due to too much food not being eaten which I am now going to remedy. That said I don't know what to do with the currently dirt tank. I want to a 50% water change and a thorough rinse of the rocks and fake plants (I have a rock "cave" with silk plants on either side).

The problem is I had to do a 100% water change earlier last week because my beta had a fungus and the experience nearly killed him. I'm not sure if what stressed him out was the time he spent in a small bowl while I cleaned the tank and replenished it with new, treated water, or if it was the already-existing fungus...or something else entirely, but I'm worried if I put the fish in a temporary container while doing a 50% water change and cleaning the tank, it will stress him out all over again.

To be honest this whole thing has been really frustrating. I have never owned fish before and I didn't realise what I was getting myself into when I bought the aquafarm. Dumb I know. I just don't know what to do at this point to make sure my beta is happy and the tank is clean without accidentally killing the poor thing or stressing him out again.

I might get ich myself I'm so stressed!!
If you don't have a filter of sorts it would be hard to start a Nitrogen Cycle, which is what we refer to as Cycling a tank. Basically what you're doing is growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria, or BB. Those BB is what convert ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate which are then taken out of the water by a water change. Both Ammonia and Nitrite are very toxic to fish of all sorts. The "24 hour cycle period" that stores talk about is only good for letting you know if your heater and filter is working properly, that's it.

I would do one 50% and one near 100% so like 90% or so to keep the fish wet is what I'd do. But if you're having issues, you can do as many changes as you want so daily water changes around 50% will be just fine!

And why do you say a bottom feeder fish that doesn't effect the fish count? Corydoras and other bottom feeder fish do NOT eat other fish poop, another common myth from the stores. They scavenge which means, they scavenge mostly for flakes, sometimes algae and will love bottom feeder tablets. Also all Cory's like to be in groups for social reasons. Some fish can't be alone but have to be in what we call a Shoal which is a group of fish that stay together for social and safety reasons. Cory's are one of them, you may be able to get away with it but I still don't recommend it and it might be beneficial for your tank if you took it back if you can.

We all start somewhere and it's not always the easiest's of rides but just do some more reading and ask things around the forum and you'll gradually learn things to help your fish out if you ever need anything explained or have a question, feel free to PM me at any time :) I'm usually on pretty often so no worries!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #35 
fidget

Avalonian- I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago. Some people put a small piece of filter sponge in the plant tray to help the bb grow.
If you're doing partial water changes with the fish in the tank, be careful. A lot of the waste on the bottom will get kicked up and can make your fish sick... I took mine out, did the water change, then let the tank filter and settle for a while before I put him back in. I also gave him a blood worm in his holding cup so he stopped being scared of it.
I gave up on my Aquafarm and got a regular tank. Check out the Aquafarm reviews on Amazon for helpful tips- particularly the posts from WildScalare. Good luck! :)

Edit- I had to take my betta out of the aquafarm because he got fin rot. I treated him in a small tank and "fed" the aquafarm while he was out of it. It was cycled, or at least close to it, by the time Digger was ready to go back in, but I was done with aquafarm experience by then.

Last edited by fidget; 09-08-2013 at 12:19 AM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #36 
fidget

Micho- No, it doesn't disturb the substrate.

Lilnaugrim- You're right about the water changes and tidy tank stuff. I wish I would have found this forum before I found the aquafarm lol. I would have been so much less frustrated. It's easy for a novice to get overwhelmed by this tank without additional info. The directions/advertising say it's "self-cleaning" which it is to some degree. :)

Last edited by fidget; 09-08-2013 at 12:50 AM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #37 
Avalonian

Lilnaugrim - Thanks for your reply. You were right about the corydora. The poor thing died. I'm not sure if it was the atmosphere created from the plants or what but he couldn't hack it. I won't be adding any other fish to the Aquafarm anyway--it's such a small tank to begin with.

I'm going with your advice of a 50% and 90% water change and Fidget's advice about taking the beta out of the tank while doing this since yes it does kick up a lot of stuff from the bottom of the tank.

Fidget can I ask how long you had the Aquafarm before you finally got rid of it in place of a real tank? I have a feeling the Aquafarm will run it's course and I'm anticipating the conversation about upgrading to a regular tank. I honestly did not think I would end up being this involved in owning fish!!

I think things are ok now. My poor beta nearly died in the first week we set up the tank but now things have settled down and the beta is swimming happily. No bubble nests yet!

I am worried, however about finrot.

Fidget - my beta has similar colouring to yours in your photo but to be honest I can't remember if when we bought him he had red accents at the tips of his fins. Now he does and I voiced my concern that he might have finrot and my boyfriend told me I was being a fish hypochondriac. I guess I'll just have to watch his fins over the coming weeks.

The one thing I'm concerned about regarding finrot is on the forum it suggests 100% water changes. That seems to be the thing that stresses out the beta the most. Is that really what is necessary to cure finrot?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #38 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Betta* not Beta lol, greek vs. thailand fish

Sorry about the cory, things happen though and sometimes it's not always pleasant but something good usually comes out of it.

As for red tips on the fins, that's probably just coloration, fin rot will appear black in nature, the blackest black you've seen on the edges of the fins. Then the fins will start to deteriorate or rip up. However this shouldn't be confused with bitten fins or casually ripped/torn fins which will just be slits or U shapes in the fins which do not appear black.

You don't need to do 100% necessarily, 50% daily or every other day will be just as good. Feel free to do more though. The easiest way to keep a Betta not stressed during water changes is to scoop them up in a solid colored cup like any plastic cup will do as long as it has not seen soap. So like, red solo cups will do just fine. This way the Betta cannot see what's going on, it has a small calming effect on them, and covering the cup will futher the calming effect. Darkness is what keeps the Betta's at ease oddly enough so covering the cup will help lots. It's also easier to cup them rather than net them.

Some fish don't like the cup and you'll have to chase them around, but once they're in the cup, feed them something. After a while they'll associate the cup with food which equals good things! And they'll swim right into the cup without hassle! It may take a while to train them but it sure is worth it. Then you can do your water changes, replace the water with similar temperature water with your conditioner and there you go! Then you can gently slip the fish back into the water from the cup.

That's probably the easiest way to do things for any tank.

And yeah, I never thought I'd be this into fish either! Welcome to the forum
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #39 
Avalonian

Thanks Lilnaugrim. That's really helpful. I'll definitely use a solid cup. That explains a lot about my Bacala's behaviour when he's out of the tank. Sorry about the spelling error! Funnily enough in Scotland they're note even called Betta fish. They're called fighting fish or something. Every time I would go to the pet store and say something about my "betta fish" they would look at me blankly.

And I'm glad to know it's probably not fin rot. Plus at this stage I don't think he can reach his fins--they're not very long. Supposedly he was a young thing when we bought him. I'm not inclined to believe the pet shop people as they don't seem like fish experts but he is a small little betta!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, each place calls them something different, I like it's in Germany or somewhere around there that they're even called Rumble Fish! I think that's pretty neat haha. They're called Fighting Fish here too but generally people just call them Betta's, but each place is different I know that if I pronounce Betta correctly people give me blank stares as well. Pronounced Beh-tah not Bay-tah as most people here call them which is the greek letter Beta. Now that you know more than you ever wanted to know....lol

He could be a Plakat Betta boy then, or perhaps just a female. You can PM me with some pictures and I could give you some insight of that, your you can post there here too ^_^ but it is also possible that he is just a young boy and still has plenty of growing to do. In which case, if he is still a juvie, I would actually up your water changes. Baby Betta's excrete a growth stunting hormone that, in the wild is a defense mechanism to stunt the babies around him so that he grows up to the biggest, baddest, meanest Betta around but in the home aquarium, this backfires and stunts their own growth. So to remedy this, frequent water changes have to be done in order to get that hormone out. For babies, daily water changes are necessary from 50% or more, juvies can handle daily but other day is also fine. And then they stop producing when they become adults around 3.5 months for healthy growth.

But that's just if he's an actual juvie. To help him grow though, you can feed him two or three times a day. Small but frequent meals are the secret for Betta growth, just like any other baby animal

Tags
aquafarm, aquaponics