Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #1 
Agent13
Reference Team

Question Need Help! How to plan for 3 tanks & 7 aquatic friends care while away??

I must get away before I lose my mind. I plan to head to the islands within a few weeks with a friend to kick off my summer where I average 1-2weeks/ months either out of the country or far away from home and I am freaking out over how to care for the aquatic part of my "zoo" !! The other animals and even the kids(when needed) have established options for my vacation time but in previous years I had only the frogs to ask someone to watch and managed but that person is no longer available. What do you guys do when you go away? I have two people I could possibly set up temp tanks at their homes... If I do this what would be advisable. I have a 10gallon with 2 guppies and 3 ADF's, a 4gallon with a male Betta and a 6 gallon with a male Betta. How do I simplify this for someone and will they tolerate a back and forth summer? I'm freaking out and I need my vacation as I am a single mother with100% custody so I need to figure this out so my time away I don't worry about our pets.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

maybe getting a 5-10g tank and dividing it for the bettas so the petsitters only have 2 water change instead of 3.. the 6.6 petco tank has a large foot print so even divided there would be quite a bit of swimming room... if you live in the US, craigslist is a good site to get used tanks for cheap and sometimes even FREE. I know there is a canadian craigslist but I'm not sure what it's called. garage sales and thrift stores are good places for tanks too... Is the person that will be watching your kids avalible to watch some fish? if your kids are 10+ then they might be able to help with water changes..

I've heard of people using rubber maid tubs and transporting there fish in them so they still have some room to swim plus they're cheap... kritter keepers are also good ways to transport fish!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 
Agent13
Reference Team

I have critter keepers for the dragons live foods! Thats a good transport idea. No the kids are 8 & 4 but actually the 4 yr old is great at the hard work and the 8 yr old is good about feedings. However the aquatic guys will be at 1 place while the kids bounce around between 3. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #4 
Agent13
Reference Team

I am wondering(I now have a 3rd betta). I want to divide one of my 10 gallons into 3 sections for the bettas...How does the HOB filter work when it's divided? Or more to the point..will it work? I do have and extra filter that is already cycled and still running..