Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Color fading ( worse over hours), probably has gill flukes-Want to treat tonight!

Trying to get help with this tonight. I have lots of different types medicine in the house right now. I've emailed a mod. I really want to treat him. The only good news in my disintegrating fish is he is acting pretty normal. He's in a hospital tank, he has a heater and he's getting water changes. Please read my thread.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=165153&page=2
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

He has not done any scratching do all fish with flukes scratch?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

His fins look so awful just in a days time. His disposition is still good though.
I gave the API General Cure since I can get that now and have been advised to do anti-biotics if it seems needed down the road. I will have to post which one later. I put an air hose in the hospital tank to make the water is well oxygenated. I have been reading many of these meds reduce oxygen contributing to fish death. It may not apply to bettas but I don't figure it will hurt to do it. I am posting this in part so if someone has the same problem they search this out on the forum.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 05-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I just saw your other thread... Sakura8 responded and she has never steered me wrong! But to be honest, the rapid desintegration/normal behavior makes me think bacterial as well. Either way, it sounds like you have both parasitic and anti-bacterial meds?

You should not have to worry about oxygenating the water. Honestly, I don't see how this would help as they get their oxygen from the surface, not the water. As someone has already said, stay away from meds with -fix at the end as they may suffocate them by destroying the organ they use to breathe.

Otherwise the only advice I have to add is that it will be OK to remove the air hose if you feel that the water movement is stressing him. We want to keep down his stress levels so that he can recover!

I wish you both luck.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote