Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

But it's easier to just fill a bucket from tap, add the conditioner and pour it into the tank (of course at a very similar temperature to the already existing water in the tank) Aging water, IMHO is just a pain and more work than needed. But of course I've got 5 tanks, but even with just 1 tank it would be simpler to use all tap.

I know some people on here who have their Betta's in 8.2-8.4 water and they are fine.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #12 
iceyrose

I also am going to start putting the faucet water in jugs,with water conditioner s so they can sit for a day or so...the ph is in the 8.00 range even after putting water conditone in....bazaar huh.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #13 
iceyrose

Still feeling nervous about all this ive done countless studying & just want the best to keepem healthy. Whats your thoughts on low to med plants for the tank & drift wood thanks,for you thoughts & opinions
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #14 
iceyrose

Also if there's grammer issues its because im on my phone & some times its annoying with the touch screen
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You don't have to let the water sit when you use conditioner, that's the beauty about it. You just pour it right in after you put the conditioner in.

Low light plants are great, you may need to use some liquid ferts here or there but they're pretty much easy and hardy. Driftwood will eventually lower your pH but not by much.

Also, can you just press the "edit" button instead of posting multiple times? Or is that option not available on your phone?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #16 
RussellTheShihTzu

As many sites have stated: Chasing the elusive "perfect pH" will do more harm than good. Stability is more important whether at 6.5 or 8.0. Fish cannot adapt to constantly changing parameters.

And I agree with lil, you don't need to age your water; that's what the conditioner is for. I don't think it affects the pH but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, are you using distilled water or regular bottled drinking/spring water?

And, here's a gift: If you order from Live Aquarium Plants and put "bettafish" in the coupon section you get an additional 10% off your purchase before shipping.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sorry forgot to mention that, no Condtioner does not affect pH levels in anyway. And of course using chemicals to lower/higher the pH is the worst thing you could do as well since it's only going to spike up again over time, causing stress to your fish which could be fatal.

Betta fish are highly adaptable, in my smaller tanks all the pH is at 6.0 while my 33 is at a 7.4, but everyone is doing just fine and I have no troubles at all relating to pH. Just acclimate your fish for at least an hour, if I know it's a big change in pH and other chemistry I'll even up it to 2 hours acclimation just to make sure. But they can adjust just fine.

Tags
5gallon tank