Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 
rmarkham

Talking My first rescue :)

Hi guys!

I rescued my first betta today.. Well, they wouldn't give me a discount and I didn't feel like arguing.. but he's in rough shape so to me, I rescued him :)

I've been begging the boyfriend to let me get another betta fish for a few weeks now.... (I have 2 bettas, 1 29G fish tank, 2 hams and 8 geckos)
I have a zoo...

Well, I've been looking online here and seeing lots of pretty blue bettas... I have a yellow PK and a pink CT but no blue.. I had it in my mind.. a bright blue HM betta named Blueberry...

Well, I went to Petco today and started looking at what they had.. This is the same petco where I got my Lemongrab and Mr. Squiggles.
All the fish had dirty cups and it was rather heartbreaking... I saw a few marvelous blue HM males... and some double tails..

Then I saw this guy.. He was labeled as a delta tail male and he was tiny. He almost reminds me of Heartbreaker, although Heartbreaker was in much worse shape (for those of you who've seen that inspirational thread). He is pale and so small, he looked younger than the other bettas they had. His fins were so torn and pale. I walked past him a few times and kept going back to the pretty blue guys I saw. They even had a dragonscale blue HM with red fins.

The BF was getting impatient and said that I'd do what I knew was right. I knew I couldn't leave that poor delta tail there, and I've always liked the look of deltas. I took him home!!!!!

Considering how rough he looks he's very active and even ate a few pellets in his cup for me!

I had to get another 5 gallon mini bow and a heater for him, as well as some gravel but I had everything else at home.
Thankfully I always keep extra mini-bow filters in my 29G tank's filter, so I can do this sort of thing on a whim if I need too.

Currently I have his tank up and running, already at 80 degrees. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle and for him to acclimate.

I checked the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of his water and I was a little surprised that they weren't worse..
The pH was around a 6.4
Ammonia- 1ppm
Nitrite- prob over 5ppm
Nitrate- 160 or over ppm

Here are some pictures of him in his cup:
The flash brings out some shimmering that isn't apparent otherwise.

Anyone have any theories for what he'll look like when he's healthy? I see some hints of blue in that body of his!

I am so happy to have him :)

I hope you're all ready for TONS of photo updates when he gets better.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh he's going to be beautiful when colored and healed up! I love that gold irid in his tail! I think the red in his tail will be darker when he's fully healed, he'll have a nice lookin' tail too, the poor baby :( All that fin rot, he's obviously not healthy >< I'm glad you're going to fix him up though!! Can't wait to see the progress he'll make!!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

he might turn out to be a HM!! I have no clue what colors he'll be!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can't wait to see him when he colors up! Clean water, aq salt, stresscoat and a lot of TLC and he'll be just fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #5 
Fenghuang

His fins! /: I think he is at least delta, judging by what is left of his tail. Possibly an orangey red? Whatever he is, I am certain he'll look fantastic.

Thanks for rescuing him, you probably saved his life.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #6 
Minnieservis

Oh good luck with him! He looks like he will be beautiful once he's all healed up! :)
Minnieservis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #7 
rmarkham

I got him swimming around in his new tank.. he's SO tiny compared to my adult boys. He has so much growing to do!

He's in a 5 gallon planted tank with a bit of drift wood. I plan on adding more plants eventually.

He seems so confused by the plants, poor boy.

Now I'll have to think of a name. I'll prob wait for him to color up a bit.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 
blueridge

Congrats on saving the poor boy! He looks really happy to be in a loving home. As for color he looks like he might turn out to be a red with iridescent.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #9 
rmarkham

He's loving all the room! He's so curious and I got him to eat some garlic/vita-chem soaked pellets in his tank :)

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #10 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

He's pretty! :D
Great job, Rachelle. He's found a super-loving mommy that's gonna make him all better soon! <3 Those water parameters were bloody crazy. Surprised he wasn't even more sick. :P
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote