Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 
Adnamac

Unhappy And now paranoia sets in.

So the little dragonscale boy I had recently purchased (A week ago, tomorrow) took his swim under the Rainbow Bridge this morning. He looked to have a fungal infection (covered in what looked like cotton) and I just didn't have the right stuff to save him.

And now I'm feeling a bit paranoid over my other bettas. Before going to do a partial change on Leroy's tank, I spot a tiny dot of what looks like cotton on his head. Now I'm internally flipping out and watching him like a hawk. I spent a good amount of time staring down Wrynn as well, worried there might be some funky something there. I'm still not convinced there's not and I'm just not seeing it. Same thing with Thera.

My 'I have no intention of buying another betta for awhile' new guy, Khadgar is under just as much scrutiny.

I'm thinking it's partially because after tonight I'm going to be away until Sunday afternoon/evening and there's no one in my household who cares much about my bettas. Sure they'll throw a pellet or two in if I'm lucky...but they won't watch.

And I don't think my heart could take another fish death. :(
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG you named him Khadgar! Sorry I just literally geeked out! Although selling Khadgar's whisker was a PITA, it was too popular lol anyway back on track.

I'm sorry about your little guy, S.I.P.

You could try putting in 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon for a preventative for a little while. Also clean out all of your supplies like nets and siphons. I use a bleach solution of 1 part bleach 19 parts water. I let the stuff soak in the mixture, I use hot water at first and it cools off over night. But I let it soak overnight (make sure you get all the mixture into the siphon hose and stuff so it cleans it all)

And then in the morning I rinse everything with tap water and let it soak again in a tub of hot water with about 4x the amount of conditioner to make it aquarium friendly again and will soak it a minimum of 24 hours. I may even rinse it out mid day again, change out the water so that any bleach residue is gone.

(I love all your names BTW, my 90 druid is a herb/alch so...yeah, it's awesome :D)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #3 
Adnamac

I did a water change on Leroy's tank, and added some salt with the new water. I currently don't have anything big enough to soak all my equipment, any containers of a proper size are being used and the sibling would have a fit if I tossed it all in the tub. I will be picking up a big old tub thing before I get home, and am definitally going to do as suggested.

...just super worried about the weekend. Maybe I shouldn't be...but I am so, SO good at it. :(

(You're welcome on the geek out! Wasn't around for the selling of Khadgar's Whiskers...I didn't come into WoW until just before WotLK came out...but I love the lore. And somehow, looking at this new fish, the name just was there immediately. - Also...druid! My favorite class, who is also an herbalist. But as for her second she's inscription.)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I was there just before WoLK too, I just mean trying to sell Khadgar's Whisker on the AH, no one wants to buy it because it's just too easy to pick, you know?

And don't worry, Betta's can survive just fine without food for a while. When I got Rembrandt he wouldn't eat for a month because he was still adjusting and all. And I leave my Betta's for 3 1/2 days every week, and so they don't eat for two of those days, it's just like fasting. Give them a big meal before you leave, not too much but enough so that their bellies are nice and round and you should be fine :) Betta's are nice and hardy :D

What server do you use btw?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #5 
Adnamac

It's not so much the food bit I'm worried about, but my fish falling ill while I'm gone. Granted I'm not sure I could do much being home...I'm not much of a fish doctor but I could do something.

I'm just really scared of coming home to dead bettas. As I said, paranoia.

/sigh

My home server is Dawnbringer, alliance.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah I got you, that would not be good :(
I'm sorry I can't really suggest anything else then :/ other than good luck? I'm sure they'll be fine but I know it's really hard not to worry still.

Ooo I met people from Dawnbringer while doing dungeons. I'm on Ravencrest, also Alliance :P I had to stop playing for awhile because of college and to support my fish addiction lol Once I get a job though I plan to start up again :D
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 
Adnamac

Well...guess I can stop worrying now. Weekend going away plans...smashed.

I'm upset over it, but...and I'm not telling my boyfriend this!...a bit relieved. Because of my fish.

Oh I'll still be spending lots of time out from my house and all that time with him...but it won't be 2 and some odd number of minutes away from home.

This, I can totally live with. Without so much worry. xD
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol, well that's good! I mean, kind of sucks about the plans and all but at least you're not half as stressed!