Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 
SANROMAN

baby betta help

I was picking up some food and stuff at the petco around the corner and I walked by the section where they keep the betta cups. I was just looking at the fishies with no intent on buying anything, but I saw this baby betta that was sooooooooo cool and next thing I remember it's the lady asking debit or credit.
I got the fish home and I realized I have no clue what to do with a baby betta. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you in advanced
SANROMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well first, you will need a tank that is at least a gallon. You also need a heater, a thermometer, proper food (omega one or better yet new life spectrum, you may need to crush it), a hiding spot, and water conditioner (I like prime).

We can help more if you tell us how you are keeping the fish right now and what supplies you have.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Well, first off, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Do you have an extra tank- at least 2G? Adjustable heater? Baby bettas are a little harder to care for than older ones. They need a warmer temperature, and higher-protein foods.

Get a tank, adjust the heater around to 80F-84F. That way, they'll grow faster. The babies in stores have been stunted in their growth, and might take time. After you got the temperature ready, you must be able to feed them frozen or live foods if you can. Frozen BBS are best. (baby brine shrimp)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
SANROMAN

I have a 5 gallon tank I don't have a heater at the moment since its been over 90 degrees in my house the whole summer. I bought some freeze dried blood worms that I chop up when I feed it
Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok. You'll definitely want a thermometer to make sure the temp stays stable. FD Bloodworms are not good... They are a treat that has been linked to constipation and aren't nutritious at all... As I said before, get a high quality betta pellet.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #6 
SANROMAN

The thermometer on my tank has a cap of 86 it's been staying around 84-86
I also have done zoo med betta pellets that I've fed him once since I got him yesterday
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Zoomed pellets aren't great either.. I would get New Life Spectrum Small Fish or Hikari Little Bites.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #8 
SANROMAN

Ok thank you for the assistance