Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
kanastigu

sick fish?

I have had a beautiful blue crowtail betta with clear bits at the end. I just noticed tonight that his fins seem more tattered than normal and i think his right eye is bigger then it should be. What should i do? Note he does not hold still for photos......
kanastigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please fill this out:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

It sound like popeye. To treat this, you need to add pure, unscented Epsom salts at 1tsp/g to take down the swelling.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 
kanastigu

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78f
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not at the moment. Broke last change, havent had money to get a new one so i buried it in the rocks a bit.
Is your tank heated? Lamp on top.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? An overgrown placo that is being moved this weekend to the 20 gal.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mix of betta and little tetra mix. He likes it. Tried just betta, he didnt eat it, had some tetra left, he sort of ate it. Muxed them and he eats it.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other night and a tiny bit more then i should.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 a month, if i can.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Full changes, the rocks get nasty.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, and i wait a month after the water has been treated.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Cant find kit, was getting one this weekend for the 20 gal.
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are ratty.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems litrle sluggish, but not by much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? Not yet, was wondering how.
If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? First time he has been sick
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe a year, if that

It sound like popeye. To treat this, you need to add pure, unscented Epsom salts at 1tsp/g to take down the swelling. __________________
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
kanastigu

Sorry i ment 2 gal tank
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 
kanastigu

Will try and treat starting friday when i get get the salts. Thank you for the help.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #6 
Rana

Two water changes a month is really not enough, especially for a 1gal tank and no filter. Clean water is the foundation to fish health, so I would start doing daily water changes now that your betta is sick and then at least one a week when he recovers, but the more often the better. Of course I'm no expert, but there's a respected thread with water change schedules here you can consult: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #7 
kanastigu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Two water changes a month is really not enough, especially for a 1gal tank and no filter. Clean water is the foundation to fish health, so I would start doing daily water changes now that your betta is sick and then at least one a week when he recovers, but the more often the better. Of course I'm no expert, but there's a respected thread with water change schedules here you can consult: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
2 gal. And the water was fine when the placo dud his job. I think he got sick because i couldnt do a water change for about 6 weeks. Had to give him jug water from the store. My water had to be treated. And it takes forever for it to be good again. But thank you. I am going to try and clean it every weekend when he gets better.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Hey how is your betta doing? For 2 gall i would recommend to do 2-50% and 1-100% water change a week. Or if it too much for you you can just do one 100% water change every 5 days. I think he get sick becausse of the water quality. And you can treat water with water conditioner . Prime is the best water conditioner if you have problem with your tap water.Is your water good now after it being treated? Not sure what that means but if your really can not use your tap water you can go with spring water(not purified or distilled though) It not recommended but if you have something wrong with your water it better than wait for 6 weeks and don't change his water.
How is his eye looking?
If he has pop eye you can treat him with Epsom salt without additives. Just unscented Epsom salt that you can buy at any pharmacy department. If he is really lethargic then you will need to use medications. But epsom salt to start it antibacterial/antifungal and will help with pop eye and fin rot it it mild case.
You can use pre mix salt, make sure it dissolved before you adding it in the tank. Pre mix 2tsp/gall and do daily water changes. Give us update how he doing. Even if you don't have salt right now i would do 2-50% water changes back to back 3-4 hrs apart and then continue daily water changes 100%. And make sure you acclimate your betta. Do you need instructions how to acclimate your betta when you do 100% water changes?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #9 
kanastigu

Doing much better. Planing on duing water changes ever weekend. Thabk you all for the help. He is so much happier.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #10 
Kithy

Placo? You mean pleco? What kind of pleco?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote