Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #1 
Blue Fish

WARNING to anyone who purchases loose plants from Petco!!

So, I went to Petco today and I discovered why all my bettas suddenly got sick...
(I could *NOT* figure it out. The only new fish were females, and everyone is *strictly* QT'ed for two weeks, and *nothing* transfers, not water, not equipment, not even food and/or meds...And the fish who suddenly came down with stuff were guys that had been with me for a year or close to it...and had been healthy previously. Then I saw *THIS* today when I went by Petco.)

Apparently, when they change the betta water cups, they dump the old, nasty water into the aquariums where they sell the loose plants!! GUESS WHO PURCHASED LOOSE PLANTS PRIOR TO BETTA DISEASE OUTBREAK?!? Yeah. You guessed it! UGH!

Plants were QT'd for a week before aquarium introduction, but that was in dechlorinated, heated, filtered water (I set up a special Rubbermaid with it's own HOB/gravel filter for the plants in QT.) so the stubborn stuff...like gill flukes...was still very much alive when they went into my tanks.
For that matter, is there a way to sterilize plants? I mean, I can't dump salt in there, and I worry about meds killing the plants...??

I was so angry when I realized what they were doing! Not only are they spreading every disease and parasite under the sun between all the bettas, they're spreading it to *any* healthy stock that comes into contact with those plants as well! ARRGGHHH! I will never, ever again purchase loose plants from a Petco or a Petsmart. I mean, for that matter, WHY?! Why not just dump the old water down the sink, why "recycle" it into the plants? Ugh...so stupid.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #2 
AkaRyu

Woooow, I would send so many angry letters to corporate, and march in there and tell the manager outright. That's terrible!!!
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I assume they hope the ammonia and other stuff in the dirty water will nourish the plants?
In any case it is a stupid procedure, they can just add a nutrient supplement to the tank and keep everything healthy.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #4 
Otterfun

i think it was anhel123 or Tekkguy that told me to QT plants in regular tap water for 2 weeks and the chlorine in the tap water will kill most of the stuff.

If it is not anacharis, you can try putting Excel to kill some of the germs and algae during QT.

When I first started, I did not QT my plants from Petco (anacharis) and now I remember my first betta Fred died from bacterial infection HITH was a sign, I think. He died for a good cause, now all my sorority and PetCo babies thank him for helping me to live and learn to be a more informed and responsible owner.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #5 
Briz

Like every LPS, it depends on the particular location. My Petco does water changes in the sink, not in to the loose plant tank.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #6 
bannlow2471

I am so sorry that this happened to you - how absolutely awful! I had wondered about that myself - when I saw live fish in the "plant" tank. I didn't buy any because I was afraid of this type of thing - I am still very new to fish keeping, but it definitely raised my antennae. Again, I'm just so sorry about you losing all your beautiful fish to something so preventable. Morons!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 
isochronism

Unfortunately all it takes is one random employee who wants to lessen their work load by cutting corners.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #8 
JellOh

Some people do a chlorine bath with new plants to kill any algea. I believe it is 1 (bleach) to 19 (water) mix, dp the plants for 90 seconds maximum, and then treat with a dechlorinator. It might help with diseases.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Thanks for the information about the Clorox dilute. I've also read that you can QT them in potassium permanganate for this as well.

I was QT'ing the plants, but I (stupidly) thought that maybe the chlorine might do something to them...obviously this is not a concern as my regular plants get chlorinated water all the time with no problem. I just made my plant QT tank into a giant germ-center. Ugh. Never again.

As for the HITH, that's *exactly* what two of my guys are having trouble with. And I believe they ended up with gill flukes in the process as well. :P Fortunately, they seem to have recovered from the HITH (vitamin c supplement and a course of metro/prazi)...and now I'm down to dosing them with Coppersafe to kill the gill flukes. :( It's awful, awful stuff, and I *hate* using it...but they couldn't handle the stress of the metro/prazi anymore, and after 24 hours in the copper safe they seem to be feeling better...so I'm hoping that by minimizing the time in the copper that there won't be too many horrible side effects down the line. :( Poor little dudes.

I did have one old guy who died, but he was a year-and-a-half...which seems far too short, but he'd been having trouble with granulomas for the past several months, so I can't say for certain that it was the plants, or just the tumors. So, Somerset went to live in fishie Heaven, but, he had a good life and was only sick for a couple of days before his death. (I've read elsewhere that marbles have trouble with granulomas like that, so it wasn't totally unexpected.) Fortunately, the others have responded to treatment, it's just been a total pain in the butt trying to figure out what it all is, how to treat it, buying expensive meds to experiment with...not to mention the stress on my fishies and the long-term effects of having to dose them. :(

Still, this is just SO STUPID!! >:(

Last edited by Blue Fish; 05-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Coppersafe said to use it continuously for a month to kill velvet, what do you think? I did a Maracyn Plus (liquid antibac) + Coppersafe to get rid of slime coat and velvet. I did 2 sessions of Maracyn Plus of 5 days each set with 1 week break in between. Now it's only Coppersafe. Seems to be working, it's week 3 for Coppersafe and slime coat infection gone and velvet seems to be gone but I am doing the full course as per instruction. any thoughts?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote