Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #1 
Skyla2904

Two new bettas... With next to no tails. Advice?

Went into a nearby mom and pop pet store, just to look around and found the "female sorority tank" that the owners were selling "female" bettas out of. My friend and I looked into the tank of probably fifty bettas and we were horrified to find that half of the bettas in the tank weren't females, but Plakat males and I THINK VT males. We each got one of the most beat up males, and informed the shop owner that he had males and females in the same tank. He seemed disinterested, and said he would have an employee remove them. My boy is missing his entire tail... Putting them in filtered tanks, starting them with some aquarium salt , stress coat and betta fix; what else should we be doing to make sure that their tails grow back? I'm including a few pictures of the tank they came from.
Attached Images

Skyla2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #2 
Skyla2904

Sorry phone won't let me add more pics, will add more once I am on my laptop
Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

Just treat him with the stresscoat double the dose, you can use the AQ salt id say about three days, stop the bettafix asap. After the three days stop AQ salt and just make sure his water stays clean to avoid infection. Continue the double dose of stresscoat for a few weeks... His whole tail is gone so it will take time to regrow.
Is he having any problems making it to the surface for air?
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #4 
Skyla2904

Not at all, he swims fine, acts fine, and considering where he came from it doesn't seem that he has any issues other than his fins.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 
HeroicPoison

Thats great! well except the poor guy missing his tail :(
API stresscoat+ does wonders :) it should help him a lot
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, has Heroic said any Stress Coat is going to work wonders as well as keeping his tank nice and clean. It normally takes about a month to regrow larger tears and stuff like that so you might be looking at a 2 month grow rate which is still pretty good I think. Just trying to give you a bit of an idea :)

And the fact he's doing well in every other aspect is great! He might even grow it in faster! It all depends on the Betta and their recovery rate (same with humans, some heal faster than others)

Good luck and keep us updated :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

If he is missing fins from fin rot, you may want to treat with meds as it looks like it is VERY close to the body. However if the fins are missing because someone ripped them off - clean, warm water with some aquarium salt and stress coat is the way to go. Don't use bettafix, it has the potential to destroy their breathing organ. However if you do choose to use it (many people swear its a miracle drug), it may be best to under dose the fish. The main ingredient is a tea tree oil which can work wonders but it can also be fatal if overused. I've used it before as well, the fish ended up dying but not from bettafix.
if you want to use meds - any of these (minus the first few "fix" meds) should work. Furan 2 and triple sulfa are the ones I have on hand. I have tetracycline as well but it dosent seem to work too well
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/pimafix.html
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #8 
Skyla2904

Thanks for the advice guys, I have been changing his water and have him in the API Stresscoat, thanks for the heads up with the betta fix: my friend swears by it but due to the risks I'm gonna try without it. Sorry for the long time before my answer, we got 3 2 week old kittens in on Tuesday and they've been absolutely consuming my time ;) but anyway, the betta, whom has been named Avenger, is still doing great; and he seems very relieved to be alone. Lol. The other male that we rescued with him is doing well too, although his tail is not nearly as tattered.