Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #1 
mimi9000

Is this ich?

Hi everyone,

First time poster. Just got a betta 6 weeks ago and this site was so helpful with my setup.

I'm posting today because I think my betta has ich, unfortunately. If anyone can confirm that's what this is, I'd appreciate it!

Photos here

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78.5
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, 2x day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 times a week, 1-2 gallons at a time. (I have a hard time telling between yellow and light green on the API kit, so if it looks greenish I'll do a small w/c).
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta conditioner

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: .25 last night. Closer to 0 this morning after back to back 40% w/c
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH: 7.6
Hardness: don't know
Alkalinity: don't know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Last night, 3 raised white spots on tail and 2 on body. Today, no spots on body but 6 on tail.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hangs out at bottom of the tank more, but this was also at night when he may have been sleeping
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night (5/1/13)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Starting to raise water temp to 86.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him 6 weeks ago from Petsmart. Not sure his age.

Other notes: the only thing I can think of that's changed recently was that I put in a new carbon filter 3-4 days ago. I didn't have room to include the old one so I didn't seed the new filter.

Also, is the PH too high? It's always been at 7.6 and I read online somewhere that's okay for a betta as long as the PH stays consistent.

If I'm forgetting anything, please let me know...

Thanks so much.
mimi9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 
SevyJane

It doesn't look like ich to me. Ich will look like fine grains of salt on his body and tail. It is interesting that the spots are raised. I am not 100% sure about this, but maybe someone else can chime in - could it be the start of anchor worms?
It's a small chance it might be the beginning of fin rot.
SevyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #3 
mimi9000

Thank you for the reply, SevyJane! I hope to get other opinions on this as well. Think I should treat this as if it were ick? I'm probably go with turning the temp to 85-86 and adding aquarium salt.

Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 
bniebetta

Does not look like Ich to me. Ich has been pure white in my experience, and every time I have seen finrot it begins along the edges of the fins. It looks like some kind of lesion IMO, but someone with a lot of disease experience such as one of our breeders might be able to give you a better answer.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #5 
SerenaRena
Banned

definitely not ich
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #6 
mimi9000

Thanks, SerenaRena! New symptoms appeared today, unfortunately: white spots on both pectoral fins and a small whitish string underneath his body.
There are now about 7 of the raised white dots on his tail fin.

I added more photos here
(scroll to the bottom)

Today I changed out 3 gallons of water. I did switch to Seachem Prime water conditioner yesterday, maybe the string is excess slime coat?

Water parameters same: ammonia 0 to .25, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10.

I have the temp bumped up to 85 but am bringing it down now to 80.

What to do?? Fin clamping is more noticeable today and I'm afraid this is getting worse.

Any help is appreciated - thank you!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #7 
Otterfun

i think it may be bacterial infection. did you try 5cc AQ salt/1g with daily 100%WC? If not do so for 5 days, if symptoms persist, then increase to 10cc/1G with daily 100% WC. To be efficient, you may want to do a 2.5g or 1g hospital tank/vase that can accommodate a heater.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #8 
mimi9000

Thank you so much, Otterfun! I haven't tried anything yet but will follow your instructions first thing in the morning. First I need to set up a hospital tank.

I'm guessing I should sanitize everything in the main tank, correct?

Thanks again !
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #9 
mimi9000

p.s. to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I should add 5cc of aquarium salt per gallon of tank water, and the betta stays in that water? (as opposed to using it as a bath that he stays in for, say, 20 mins).

Today the white string is gone but there is at least 1 new white spot and a hole where some of the first white spots were.

Ammonia up to .25 so I'm going to do a large w/c now.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi9000 View Post
Thank you so much, Otterfun! I haven't tried anything yet but will follow your instructions first thing in the morning. First I need to set up a hospital tank.

I'm guessing I should sanitize everything in the main tank, correct?

Thanks again !
When I last had ick with Fred which died from subsequent HITH, I left the tank without any fish for 3 weeks, but have plants and shrimps and snails in there. I turned up the heater to 86f for 2 days, and gradually bring it down to 76f reducing 2f every 2 days. Though the RCS are not a fan of water warmer than 78f, they survived.

I sanitized the decor with mixture of 20% chlorine about 25oz per 1g. of water for 10 mins. Oh use gloves when doing this. Then rinsed it really well and air dry under the sun for 1 week. Then dip them in 5 time the dosage of Prime for 1 day, then air dry for another week.

The inverts cannot host the ick and it will die off if there is no host/ fish available. If you have the time 4 weeks would be best.

Now my tank is fine and other fish intro are fine.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote