Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1 
megan6o6

Salt treatment timing!!

hello betta lovers!

basically i need to know after how many days of no salt treatment after using it for ten days can i add it again..

my betta had the early stages of fin rot and i did the cleaning and salt treatments for ten days but then took him off so it wouldnt cause organ failures. But now the simptoms are coming back and getting worse. I am still cleaning the tank 100% everyday but i need to put him back on salt. I took him off on monday. (the first day with no salt) and its gotten worse!

If anyone knows and good guestimation period id be thankfukl!!

tank: 2.5 gal
-heated to 80 degrees
-filtered
-100% water change daily
-usually change two times a week
-has fin rot, very early stages
-he is still active and hungry
- no other symptoms but the white goo on fins and start of black on tips of back fins as well

Last edited by megan6o6; 05-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.
megan6o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

a) Can you post a photo so that we can see the extent of the rot, and the "white goo"? (Black edges do indicate rot, but 'white goo' isn't something I've seen before with cases of rot.
b) When he was in the aquarium salt, was the rot getting better? Was the white goo getting better?

(I'm asking for this info, so that people can get more info, and can then help you determine whether aquarium salt is the best treatment, or whether you should use medications, or whether simply clean, warm water is needed.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 
megan6o6

Yes i can! I will attach them under this
b)when he was in the aquarium salt the oringinal black part of the fin got better and there was no further progression on his other fins. then after ten days i took him off and then many other fins got some black to them (the beginning stages, very small... but i want to treat it early.)
when he swims around a ton it comes off and when trying to take pictures he was moving around (scared of my phone) and now they're off. but they'll be back in the morning.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #4 
megan6o6

It's difficult to see with bad phone pic quality. but its almost like gooey, whispy white stuff that floats off the tips of his fins. At first it was the fron two now its the tips of his back fins too. And they come off easily, but they return within 24 hours. It is not fuzzy and there is nothing white on his body. The fin rot is too minimal to get in a picture of this quality... but i will go back to salt after i give him a week of it. he hasnt lost any energy and eats.
Attached Images