Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #1 
Laki

Significant plants growth AND algae

When I got my plants off reddit I didn't expect much but I am after planting 3 broken off stems of ambulia and within hours they spread out their roots and start growing. My tallest piece might need to be trimmed soon. (my reddit plants are water wisteria and asian ambulia but I also have a clipping of hygrophilia something, 2 java ferns, a clump of java moss, hornwort and salvinia)

I have never had so much luck with plants! I love watching them bc everyday between lights-on and lights-off there is something new growing that I notice. Even without ferts though I had to scrape algae off them all yesterday. Got an algae carpet off my filter's output ramp.

I don't understand, I can handle the tank not being cycled but that there is such significant plant growth everyday and STILL algae is beyond me.

Now, don't get me wrong. I started this post on coffeehouse chat as a thought.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the full lush plants and my bettas are loving to rest on them and swim through them. I am just astonished at the rapid growth on asian ambulia but with all this growth I am wondering why algae is managed to come back.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Algae is due to an imbalance in your tank. you may have too much light/too much nutrients or both in your tank :) you can reduce photo period to deter algae growth. a little excel will also kill algae.

asian ambulia (Limnophilla Sessiliflora) is a federal noxious weed, make sure that it does not end up in in the wild. if you want to throw away trimmings discard it in the trash...

It was an interesting story how this became a federal noxious weed. I think it was being invasive in a certain water way, and some geniuses decided to eliminated it by hacking the patch of limno Seissiflora to pieces. Every single piece then grew into a new plant and the invasion escalated to uncontrollable levels....and so they banned it.

lol

So what does having a federal noxious weed mean? It's perfectly fine to keep in in our tanks, but it is illegal to move it anywhere else without a license to do so. "Moving" in this case includes the giving away, shipping, selling, dumping it in the wild >.> you get the gist =D Whoever shipped it to you wasn't being very responsible ;)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #3 
Laki

No, It was all local. I picked it up at her workplace where she keeps tanks, she said she got it off someone local as well.. I don't know how the original person got it ;) And I am in Canada, I wonder if it's noxious weed here (I knew it was in the states) I promise I won't be throwing any down the drain, but that's a funny story how it became so problematic. It does grow ridiculously fast, personally, I love it.

Excel kills algae? I should pick some up, but it might not be for a while.

I reduced photo time before I got the new plants bc the algae was so bad, now it's tolerable. The initial planting of the new plants stopped algae for like 2 weeks but it started again a few days ago. I wiped it all off bc my nerite is not enough :)

I think the problem is the light. It's 6500k and my hood is old so I kind of had to rig it so the light dangles dangerously close to the water's surface. Even covering the surface in salvinia didn't work bc the roots got encased in algae!

Until I can get Excel, will a daily algae scrape be sufficient to curb its growth so my plants can use the nutrients?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #4 
Briz

You're correct that the closeness of the light to the water isn't helping the algae problem. Some hobbyists will suspend light fixtures over shallow tanks since being directly on top would be too intense a light for such a shallow depth.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

oooh~ canada is probably very different =D
did you know that credit card works great for scraping algae off glass?
I would personally leave the algae until it died naturally ^__^ how big is your tank? what do you have in it? and how much do you feed? that might help solve an algae mystery =D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 
Laki

Huh, I should maybe figure out a way to suspend my light then.. I don't know what I could do though, it's a fitted hood. Any ideas? (pic attached) I need to keep bettas and Milly IN! haha.

It's a 5 gallon, so I'm sure it's way too much light.

I didn't know about credit cards being kickass algae scrapers, I use a kitchen scrunge thing from the dollar store. I would let the algae die on its own if it didn't obscure my view of Bowser (who is currently on the light side). Actually, I really only ever remove algae of the front glass, divider and driftwood (when it starts getting on my plants)

I have only 2 bettas and a nerite snail in there. I don't feed the snail at all. Bettas eat once a day, they eat everything I put in- no leftovers. I haven't fertilized the tank in about 3 weeks now.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 
Laki

Ugh double post, forgot the pic:
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 
Briz

You could always get a slab of plexiglass or acrylic from Home Depot or Lowes and cut it to cover the top of your tank. I do this and set it on the inside lip of my tank's top. This will keep your bettas from jumping over the dividers if the divider height is up to the plastic lips. Then you would be free to suspend the hood/light any way you can. Something like putting it on stilts or hanging it from above if you moved the tank to shelves or something similar.

Sounds like a lot of work, but should help with both keeping your bettas safe and reducing algae.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 
Laki

I wonder how much a sheet of plexiglass is.. I need it to have a cut in it for my filter.

(haha I already notice a difference from the picture above and now in terms of plant growth)
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #10 
isochronism

Aokashi's credit card suggestion: My planted tanks are on a southern exposure windowsill. (I can drop the shades behind them)
My larger tank does develop some algae on the window side. I found scraping algae upward and out before during water changes, before re-filling does an excellent full removal job.

Last edited by isochronism; 05-03-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: edit
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote