Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 
rubinthebetta

Smile Anybody else own pet rats?

I have one named Jerry, and she's momma's little girl. She'll freak whenever I come near her cage and if I'm wearing my robe (or any other clothing that she have openings that she can fit into) the rascal will climb through it and poke her little head out of the sleeves. I would post pics, but I don't have any on this computer. Oh, and how she got her name is a long and complicated story, as is how I adopted her.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #2 
Indigo Betta

I don't own a rat, but I want to one day. I hear they are very smart.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #3 
Adnamac

Once, about ten years ago, I had two female rats. I would love to own a pair again. They are super amazing, smart creatures.

I almost purchased myself a pair of sister about a month ago...adorable dumbos with grey patches. I instantly fell in love, but just couldn't afford a proper cage and everything at the time. :(
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #4 
MoonShadow

I used to have rats! Love them so much! I have raised many many rescue litters, unfortunately I am not allowed to have them in the apartment I live in now, but I am moving in less then a month and can have them again! So that is the plan!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #5 
rubinthebetta

Cool! I wish I could raise a rescue litter. Oh well. Someday I will.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #6 
Viva

Rats are awesome! I have TONS of videos on youtube of my 5 ratties (now deceased) doing tricks and other random, cute things :D They are definitely the best small pet to own. They're extremely intelligent and easy to train because they are so motivated by food. They also bond with you and are entertaining to watch.
The only bad thing about them (and why I refuse to get any more) is their respiratory and tumor issues. If you have the females spayed there's a smaller chance of tumors but the respiratory issues I've had with 3/5 rats, the other 2 died from mammary tumors. After spending hundreds of dollars at vet visits and for medications nothing worked, and I was forced to watch all my rats suffer as they died :( I would've had them humanely euthanized but my vet just kept trying to treat and make the most $ possible off me.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #7 
copperarabian

I don't own rats, but I think they are adorable and cute. I love playing with other peoples :D I don't think I could have my own, I would always smell like food to my snakes(they get F/T)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #8 
eaturbyfill

I have eight rats, and they are all little angels!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #9 
rubinthebetta

Sweet!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #10 
LittleDeer

I have had seven rats over the past five years and they've all been a joy. I only have one boy left now. He has been a single rat for a while because he was always very uncomfortable and skittish around other rats. He actually seemed a lot happier on his own so that's how it's been for several months now. He gets lots and lots of love and attention though. Unfortunately, despite how much I love them, they live such short lives. A couple years just isn't enough for me, and after having lost six of the sweethearts, I don't know how much more I can take, so after my current boy goes ( he should have a least another good strong year ahead of him). I'm taking a break from them. But I definitely reccommend them to anyone looking for a sweet, affectionate, intelligent, and easy to care for pet. As long as you can handle the fact that they generally only make it about three years. It always seems too soon. I've gotten all my boys as babies and they all grew up so fast.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rats