Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #11 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDeer View Post
I have had seven rats over the past five years and they've all been a joy. I only have one boy left now. He has been a single rat for a while because he was always very uncomfortable and skittish around other rats. He actually seemed a lot happier on his own so that's how it's been for several months now. He gets lots and lots of love and attention though. Unfortunately, despite how much I love them, they live such short lives. A couple years just isn't enough for me, and after having lost six of the sweethearts, I don't know how much more I can take, so after my current boy goes ( he should have a least another good strong year ahead of him). I'm taking a break from them. But I definitely reccommend them to anyone looking for a sweet, affectionate, intelligent, and easy to care for pet. As long as you can handle the fact that they generally only make it about three years. It always seems too soon. I've gotten all my boys as babies and they all grew up so fast.

Yeah I felt the same way with my 5 girls :( They show so much personality and affection but its taken away so fast. Despite the months of respiratory problems my favorite girl had, she was still sweet as ever even in her final days. She gave me kisses and slept in my bathrobe pocket all the time. I miss her and my other 4 girls so much :(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #12 
Auburn Sakura

I had a rat once, her name was Athena. We bought her and it turned out she was pregnant, so we had to give the babies to our LPS which is closed down now. We had her for about three years, until she broke her leg and had some organ troubles. RIP Athena. She was so cute.~ She was white with black spots. I love her a lot, and so does my mom.
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

I have four boys (I used to have six). Four are/were RSPCA rescues, two (twin boys) are from breeders. They are my life. I love my boysies. :)

When I have my own place, I am going to breed rats.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #14 
Bettasaremykids

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1368631244
The black and white one is Willow and the white and tan one is Autumn.
They got their names because i think Autumn season is beautiful and willow trees are too.
They are rescues from an animal shelter and my mom didnt want rats forever and I always wanted rats. They both had tumors and they weren't supposed to live much longer so i told my mom they need to die with a loving home and we get them the next morning.
I got so attached to these little critters we got both of their tumors removed and the operation went great.
Unfortunately, they both developed tumors again but they are too old to get them removed and i have to enjoy the last few months with my babies
Attached Images

Bettasaremykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

Watching these beautiful animals growing old and die is the most heartbreaking thing. I love rats, but I hate their tiny lifespans.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #16 
rubinthebetta

You and me both. Jerry's my first rat, so I haven't experienced it yet....
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #17 
percyfyshshelley

I love rats! I've had two pairs of females in the past. I'd like more, but unfortunately I now live in a "rat-free" province.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

Rat free province? What a horrible idea! :(
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #19 
percyfyshshelley

I know! It's Alberta, and obviously the idea isn't to keep people from keeping pet rats (although that is one result), it's to protect crops. It kind of amazes me that they have managed to keep them out. They're pretty diligent about it, really. Every once in a while a rat or two will pop up in a dump or something, and there's a big fuss.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #20 
LinkLover

Rats, in my opinion, are the absolute best pets on the planet. I have had a total of three (although one of them had to put put down shortly after he was adopted due to respiratory issues, and the "friend" I bought for him was rehomed after he died, mostly because my dog was a total butt head about it) but my first rat was the best pet I've ever had. His name was Angel, and he was my best friend. We did everything together, and I have never felt so much love from an animal in my life. I still miss him (and even cry about it), and will never forget how amazing he was. I had to put him down when he was about two years old because of a serious upper respiratory infection, and that was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I hope someday to get more rats, but unfortunately as you all have said their short lifespans are really hard to handle, so we'll see. Here is my sweet Angel, who is forever loved:

Name:  Angel.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  20.3 KB
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rats