Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 
LostxinthexMusic

Does he have popeye?

My male halfmoon betta, Shadow has recently recovered from a bout of Spticemia, and he seems otherwise healthy, but it looks like he has popeye. I know popeye is a symptom of septicemia, but he recovered a week ago. Both of his eyes seem excessively bulgy, and they are about the same size. Attached is a picture.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? About 83 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The filter uses a bubbler
Is your tank heated? Yes; it's sitting on a heat mat
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of*food*do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No, but I use filtered water from my refrigerator heated to match his tank temperature.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Eyes are bulging a little, equally in both
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When he had Septicemia, then the symptoms subsided, and returned yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? Not yet. He's been through a lot of stress from treatment for persistent fin rot and the septicemia
If so, how? N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Persistent fin rot pretty much since about a month after I got him (finally beaten along with the septicemia), and Septicemia a few weeks ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from Petco about mid-November

I should mention that I'm a college student, and I was using school water for the water changes until I brought him home two and a half weeks ago; I think the filtered water is what finally stopped the fin rot (along with treatment of Jungle's Fungus Clear), and I will use my Brita pitcher to filter the water for his changes when I go back in the fall.
Attached Images

LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #2 
Laki

I can barely tell from the pic if hie eyes are bulgy or if he's underweight. Hikari is on the lower tier for food, I hear. You want something with no filler like wheat and grains and more "meat" like shrimp or some other fishy protein. Also, frozen insects or live if you can get away with it! Bloodworms, brine shrimp, wingless fruit flies etc.

He doesn't need a filter or a bubbler in such a small tank, and honesty, the movement might be making him feel worse. The best cure for fin rot is clean water. I don't think the filtered water is any good either, how do you "warm" it?? Do you always put in the stress coat?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #3 
LostxinthexMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I can barely tell from the pic if hie eyes are bulgy or if he's underweight.
I know the picture isn't very good quality. He wouldn't stop moving enough for me to get a clear one. He may be underweight, although I've never heard of eyes bulging when they're underweight, and his abdomen is a little swollen.

Quote:
He doesn't need a filter or a bubbler in such a small tank, and honesty, the movement might be making him feel worse.
He's not feeling bad at all. He's active, happy, making bubble nests... I have the air pump turned way down, and he seems to enjoy the slight current there is. Also, I'd much rather have a filter since the fin rot was such a problem. I don't want to have to fight it again.

Quote:
The best cure for fin rot is clean water. I don't think the filtered water is any good either, how do you "warm" it?? Do you always put in the stress coat?
1: The fin rot is finally gone. I managed to kick it when I started using filtered water for the changes, so it's obviously cleaner. Last time I thought it was gone, it came back with a vengeance (when he was in unfiltered water from my school), and this time, it's stayed gone for about two weeks, and his fins are continuing to grow back (white tips and all).
2: What makes you think the filtered water isn't any good? Like I said, he's much better now that he's in it, so it must be making a difference.
3: I microwave the water and use a digital thermometer that reads to a tenth of a degree and match the temperatures before I add the water.
4: Yes, I always add the stress coat. I have city water at home, so I need to dechlorinate it, because I know my fridge filter doesn't do so.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #4 
Laki

I think microwaved water might be your problem. I have no stats or data to back myself up and I don't own a microwave but I know that it zaps good things out of food/beverages. Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am wrong. I just would never even fathom giving microwaved anything to my pets. It just seems that mircowaving the water might do more bad than good. idk.

Can you get any more pics? Like side on and up close? And are his scales popping out at all? From what I read on septicemia treatment can include warm clean water but also might require those methalyne blue contraptions the 2 types of Maracyn stuff combined. Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #5 
LostxinthexMusic

I didn't realize there were supposed to be good things in the water other than water and oxygen; I add the Stress Coat after it's up to temperature. All microwaving does is force the molecules to vibrate, thus increasig the temperature, so it doesn't really damage edible things any more than actual cooking. I've never heard of it taking good things out of food.

The septicemia is gone, and has been for two weeks; the treatment with Jungle Fungus Clear (I used a slightly higher concentration than the package says) kicked it just fine. He looks otherwise healthy; normal coloration, smooth scales, normal activity, fins regrowing beautifully. I'll try to get some more pictures, but Shadow is a tad camera shy, so I can't promise much better quality.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #6 
LostxinthexMusic

Some side shots, not much better quality
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #7 
LostxinthexMusic

Finally got a good one with the high sensitivity setting on my camera.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #8 
Laki

Oh, I heard that too about microwaves but where they use radiation or whatever. My mom had me paranoid on them.

He seems to be fine regrowing his fins and stuff. I hope someone else can come by about the popeye, because I honestly don't know.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #9 
LostxinthexMusic

It's true that microwaves use radiation, but it's a safe form of it. And thanks for your input! I think he's probably fine, I'm just a little paranoid, since he's been sick pretty much since I got him...
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) Have his eyes changed at all since you got him in November? Personally, I don't think he has popeye. Some bettas just have eyes that bulge a bit.

2) Since his septicemia and fin rot appear to be under control, I would just treat with lots of clean, warm water. If you feel that he's dealing with popeye, you can add Epsom salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon to see if it helps. Epsom salt is safe to use. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) If you find it's helping, you can either maintain that dosage, or increase one teaspoon Epsom salt per day, until you have a maximum dosage of 3 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon.)

+1 on LostxinthexMusic's comments about microwave radiation. Microwaves heat food by causing water molecules to vibrate faster. This increases the kinetic energy and heats the food. Microwaving will not change the structure of the water or add any sort of harmful radiation to it, and it won't remove any dissolved salts (electrolytes) that are in the water.... It's safe to use a microwave to heat water. (But be careful not to overheat it!)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popeye, septicemia