Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #1 
tidbit

Question heater?

My tank doesn't have a heater, I thought it wasn't necessary,will my fish die if it doesn't have a heater?

thanks
tidbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 
Mar

how big is your tank?

I'd recommend a heater for any tank, especially during the cold winter seasons,
but as summer is coming up, you should be okay for now. But I would really recommend getting that heater as soon as you can for your fishy !
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It is unlikely that your fish will immediately die but his life will be shortened quite a bit. Heaters maintain the water at a proper temperature. Without a heater, the temperature will fluctuate which weakens the immune system and leads to disease. The fish will also be to cold, which also weakens the immune system and is generally detrimental to your fishes well being. Bettas are tropical fish that are biologically designed to live in waters of 76-86 degrees, when they get to cold they can not function naturally.

How big is your tank?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #4 
tidbit

My tank is rather small about 1 gallon.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #5 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
It is unlikely that your fish will immediately die but his life will be shortened quite a bit. Heaters maintain the water at a proper temperature. Without a heater, the temperature will fluctuate which weakens the immune system and leads to disease. The fish will also be to cold, which also weakens the immune system and is generally detrimental to your fishes well being. Bettas are tropical fish that are biologically designed to live in waters of 76-86 degrees, when they get to cold they can not function naturally.

How big is your tank?
He's right. A lot of diseases or problems associated with bettas could be prevented if only they were kept in warm enough water. Lamps and sunshine does not cut it, and room temps fluctuate. He will not die right away, but it is much likelier that he will have an untimely or even painful demise in certain circumstances. It is the number one thing I would advise to a new betta keeper alongside with water conditioner. Here is a heater I really like for a great price (assuming your tank is big enough). http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...um-heater.html
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 
tidbit

thanks, but my fish tank is to small >:c (I've been waiting for my older bros fish to die, he has a 55 gallon tank ><) i might bye a bigger one because my sister wants a betta to
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You should either:

Upgrade his tank

Buy a small heater (10-25 watts)
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote